Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello me again, I'm a little stressed out about my cocos weight. She's at a stable 84 grams since I got her two weeks ago, she's been to the vets twice for check ups and although the vet told me it was fine because she has lots of muscle either side I can't help but worry. I can feel her keel bone slightly?? she's got lots of 'chub' either side of it but it still concerns me even though I was told she's fine :(

·
Registered
885 Posts
Being able to feel the actual bone itself is fine and not an indicator of weight. The flesh should feel flush to the bone. If there is an obvious dip on both sides and the bone feels like it's protruding (underweight), or if you can't feel the bone at all under her flesh or it's very difficult to feel (overweight), then i'd ask for her to be reassessed, but what you're describing sounds fine :)

My girl holds steady at 82 grams. Her flesh is almost perfectly flush with her keel bone, and that coupled with positive vet feedback assures me that she's fine.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Being able to feel the actual bone itself is fine and not an indicator of weight. The flesh should feel flush to the bone. If there is an obvious dip on both sides and the bone feels like it's protruding (underweight), or if you can't feel the bone at all under her flesh or it's very difficult to feel (overweight), then i'd ask for her to be reassessed, but what you're describing sounds fine

My girl holds steady at 82 grams. Her flesh is almost perfectly flush with her keel bone, and that coupled with positive vet feedback assures me that she's fine.
Thank you for the response! There is a tiny dip either side of it but like I said there's also a lot of muscle each side. She's 2 months old at the moment. Does she just need to gain a bit more bulk then or could it be serious? She spends most of the day flying and usually naps once in the afternoon!

·
Registered
885 Posts
Honestly as long as she is eating fine and the vet has ruled out any illness, I wouldn't worry. Just monitor her weight to be sure she isn't losing any concerning amounts.
I weigh my adults once a week and record their weights. If there's any concerning differences I will weigh daily until either it returns to normal or I decide a vet check is in order, but fluctuating a few grams isn't a huge deal because it can vary based on their food intake and exercise amount.

Don't get too hung up on her keel. If she's not clearly underweight (which it doesn't sound like she is at all), her vet work is good and she is eating, drinking and behaving normally, she'll be fine :)

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Honestly as long as she is eating fine and the vet has ruled out any illness, I wouldn't worry. Just monitor her weight to be sure she isn't losing any concerning amounts.
I weigh my adults once a week and record their weights. If there's any concerning differences I will weigh daily until either it returns to normal or I decide a vet check is in order, but fluctuating a few grams isn't a huge deal because it can vary based on their food intake and exercise amount.

Don't get too hung up on her keel. If she's not clearly underweight (which it doesn't sound like she is at all), her vet work is good and she is eating, drinking and behaving normally, she'll be fine
Thanks again, I can't help but worry I recently lost my baby cockatiel because she was rapidly losing weight and it turned out she had worms, barely any flesh on her they tried to put her on oxygen but she wasn't strong enough :( stupidly I got her from a store, which I never do but it was spur of the moment and I was so taken by her. My new one is from a breeder who I personally know and I got one of my budgies from so really she should be fine but I've found myself stressing over every little thing! But thank you, I'll try not to worry :)

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
weight

I am so sorry you lost your first cockatiel to illness. It is heartbreaking to lose them. I think you were wise to buy this bird from a breeder. The pet store birds do tug at our hearts and maybe some of them do come from reputable breeders, but I'd rather buy directly from the source! It does sound like Coco is fine, but I understand your being stressed out having lost one bird to illness.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am so sorry you lost your first cockatiel to illness. It is heartbreaking to lose them. I think you were wise to buy this bird from a breeder. The pet store birds do tug at our hearts and maybe some of them do come from reputable breeders, but I'd rather buy directly from the source! It does sound like Coco is fine, but I understand your being stressed out having lost one bird to illness.
Thank you, it was really horrible I ran to the vets with her in my arms, but she was barely holding on then :(

I really hope Coco is fine like you're all reassuring me, and that I'm worrying too much. She's flying around and currently munching on some broccoli so I'm sure she is really :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts