Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's the acceptable weight range for a fit and well adult bird? Had her Majesty weighed a few weeks ago and the vet said she was 90g, I just read another post where the poster said their 4 week old baby weighed 90g! :wacko

Edit - I was going to ask a question about feather plucking but I found the answer on Cockatiel Cottage mid post, then forgot to take it out the title before posting! Doh!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
140g? Wow, I'd like to see a cockatiel that weighs that!

Thanks for your reply Dally :)

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
The rescue I adopted from had a 140g cockatiel! He was former show breeding stock. He looked almost like a small quaker, but not obese at all. Just BIG.

Roo weighs 81g, but her vet feels that her body condition is good. She will probably always be small because she grew up with inadequate nutrition. So that's another example of a small but healthy bird.

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
Yeah, that's what my vet said yesterday. I was freaking out because every time I get her up to 85/86, she just loses it again. But he thinks her keel feels okay even at 81, and that she might be overweight if I got her up much higher.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I think average what they call pet quality is 90-110 and show is 130-150 but the show birds are also longer and larger in average body size and average length for "pet" quality is 12 -13 in total length where the American Cockatiel Society show bird length is 17 in (3 in crest and body length of 14 in).

Here is and excerpt from their site:
General Conformation
The Cockatiel is a long bird, with graceful proportions, but of good substance (full bodied). From the top of the shoulder curve to the tip of the wing, from the top of the skull to the vent and from the vent to the tip of the tail (ideally) should measure 7". The goal being a 14" bird with a 3" crest. The total bird being 17 inches.
Crest
Should be long (goal 3"),with good density, curving from the top of the cere fanning out to give fullness.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Hi

Charlie the other day was 100g but he will prob lose some as he is only 8 weeks,and gets 2hand feeds a day,as he doesnt really eat a lot of seed etc,
So gonna weigh him again this week,as im gonna cut feeds right down,so will keep eye on him xx

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
Did you check his keel bone? 100g might be a good weight for him. Be careful about cutting down on food based on a number alone. Body condition is what really matters.

·
Registered
6 Posts
140g? Wow, I'd like to see a cockatiel that weighs that!

Thanks for your reply Dally :)
Hiya!! I was just at the vet yesterday and my 3 1/2 year old male cinnamon weighs 140grams lol. Is name is Hepex..not a show, just a pet but one monstrosity of a tiel lol. Hepex = he pecks 🤷‍♀️ he's a cutie though

·
Registered
6 Posts
The rescue I adopted from had a 140g cockatiel! He was former show breeding stock. He looked almost like a small quaker, but not obese at all. Just BIG.

Roo weighs 81g, but her vet feels that her body condition is good. She will probably always be small because she grew up with inadequate nutrition. So that's another example of a small but healthy bird.
Oh wow my Hepex is 140g! Got him as a baby.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Hepex must be a large frame cockatiel. My males are usually about 100 to 110 grams, females are around 110-120 grams. They are much larger than 90 grams cockatiels.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Yes he is robust. Ive had tiels for about 20 years now. Hepex is healthy and VERY large. I knew he was larger than my others but when the vet weighed him, we were both in shock! Lol. He's a big boy!
Im usually on FB (tiel group) so Im not sure how to post vids here. He's a little porker but thankfully healthy. They do run the risknof lipidosis and/or genetically carry the gene. He will be 4 in April so hopefully he lives a long healthy life. They are all on as close to perfect diets as a tiel diet can get. He's just...big! Lol

·
Registered
205 Posts
Interesting way to find here, and welcome!
140 g cockatiel is a real rare one. Most store bought cockatiel about 90-100 g. Good quality large body frame cockatiels weigh about 100-120 g. Some show quality cockatiels' weight can reach 140 g.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts