Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

Weight lose .. Please Help me

712 views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  Hardy 
#1 ·
Hello everyone
I posted a thread earlier that my male cockatiel was sick he had heavy diarrhea and vomiting and i started him on medication.
He is doing better his diarrhea is gone, his poop is much better no stringy poop attached to him and the vomiting stopped
I stopped the medications and he’s been on vitamins for 3 days he seems to be doing better he is moving and he shouts whenever i go out of the room and moves around the cage and eating but small portions he wasn’t doing that.
But he lost a-lot of weight and I’m very worried I’m trying to feed him a variety of food but I’m very worried that he is not gaining the weight back
He is still sleepy and tired but i noticed that when I’m not giving him attention he moves a-lot and eats and when i try to feed him and give him attention he becomes tired and sick again.
Am i over reacting or is he in a dangerous situation for losing this much weight
Ps: im not letting him out of the cage alot because he is under weight im scared that he will hurt himself or something so he is in his cage not flying

#4 ·
Pet cockatiels cannot get enough exercise to burn the fats that seeds provide. I would try slowly switching him to pellets. Sticking to only one seed is especially bad. I am currently using Roudybush pellets, the crumble size. If that is something you can afford I would switch over. For any advice about birds, and specifically switching diets I would check out ElleAndTheBirds on Youtube. She has some really helpful advice. Vegetables are a great start to a healthy diet so good job!
Again, best of luck to you!

#5 ·
Pet cockatiels cannot get enough exercise to burn the fats that seeds provide. I would try slowly switching him to pellets. Sticking to only one seed is especially bad. I am currently using Roudybush pellets, the crumble size. If that is something you can afford I would switch over. For any advice about birds, and specifically switching diets I would check out ElleAndTheBirds on Youtube. She has some really helpful advice. Vegetables are a great start to a healthy diet so good job!
Again, best of luck to you!
Unfortunately i live in so we do not have that kind of pellets but i will look for something similar
Thanks alot i just wish that he gets back to normal because he seems depressed to me

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.