Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Choco seems to be gaining a few grams and I don't know if I should be worried. She has always been around 82 grams. She lost a little and went down maybe 80ish before I sent her to the vet about 3 months ago . She got all better with antibiotics and regained her weight and has been a constant 84-86g. About 3 days ago I weighed her and she was 87, no big deal I thought just a gram more. I weighed her again today because she has started making smaller droppings so I assumed she isn't eating well. 90g. :eek: I know 90g is normal for most birds but she has a really small frame. Is weight gain in birds something to worry about health wise? She still flies around the room and is out of the cage 24/7 so she is getting more than enough exercise. What worries me is that she may be developing eggs? I'm not sure if she is supposed to weigh more, I have never owned a female bird before, but she has started doing alot of nesting behavior. I'm kinda worried about this because I know there can be complications with egg binding and stuff. Anyone? :(

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
Eggs can cause the hen to gain about 6g. There are ways to reduce her hormones if you don't want her to lay.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts