Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes, it's Vampy again with more breeding questions to harass all my readers with, LOL! This time it's Abby and Bagwis. The problem - not being sure if they're weaning yet. Below is a description of my situation.

I know it'll be at least 12 weeks before Abby weans. She is developing so slowly compared to her siblings. She's 9 weeks this week and she barely knows how to fly. By gods, she knows how to climb though and flaps a foot, but she's no where near as skilled at flying as her siblings, Spider or Bagwis. She's mastered the art of thump and plunk - she slides off of something and thunks onto the floor with some half hearted flapping and sits there crying pitifully until I pick her up.

I currently have a food bowls up where Bagwis and Abby can see their mentors Mindwipe and Redshift eating. The four of them are currently sharing a cage. Normally I would sprinkle seeds on the bottom of the cage, but I figure if they see Red and Mind eating from the food bowls, they'll come to realize it's food? Bagwis is dropping down from 3 feedings a day to two. Abby is still on 3 feedings.

I've never had birds wean this long before. Most of the time they've been ready to go at 9 weeks. At this stage of the game it may be the middle of January before anyone I'm feeding is ready to head off to their new homes. Am I just being paranoid and this is normal? Their weaning food is pellets mixed with seed, and mixed veggies in a separate bowl. They will learn how to eat on their own eventually, right? LOL! It's been 9 years since I last handfed birds. Been a very long time since I did this dance :)

·
Registered
10,897 Posts
Babies learn to eat faster with foraging-style eating than with seeing food in a bowl. Give them a piece of millet spray to munch on, either lying on a flat surface or hanging somewhere that's very easy for them to reach. Millet is easier for babies to eat than loose seed because it doesn't move around as much. Clip some leafy greens in an easy to reach place for them to nibble on. Give them some seeds/grains that have been soaked or lightly sprouted, and serve them on a small plate or shallow bowl so it looks sort of like they're lying on the ground - they'll be softer and easier to chew on than dry seed.

To teach them to drink, provide some water in a shallow bowl that's wide enough for the chicks to get in and splash. While they're wading they'll stick their beak in the water to see what happens, and discover that they can drink it.

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Tielfan! I'll definitely pull out the millet and what not.

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thought I'd update everyone on Bagwis and Abby - after Tielfan's suggestions, I caught both Bagwis AND Abby picking over the pile of seed I left for them. And it looked like eating and not pecking! ...but y'all know how confusing that distinction can be :)

Bagwis' new owner is SOOO excited to bring him home. Bagwis'll have a great place to live :)

·
Registered
885 Posts
WOOHOO for progress!

Panda is finally weaned. Took him long enough! No more babies for me for a loooong time.

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
WOOHOO for progress!

Panda is finally weaned. Took him long enough! No more babies for me for a loooong time.
LOL!!!! Yeah, I'm thrilled! And if Panda is eating on his own, there's hope for Abby and Bagwis :) . Hopefully Bagwis' new slave (err...I mean owner) will be able to wait. This weaning this is stressful for me AND the babies ....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts