Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So we went to the vet today and Demon actually did get a wing clip. But the vet pointed out a blood feather to keep an eye on.

She had a night fright and broke the blood feather. we tried for twenty minutes to get the bleeding to stop and couldn't. I called the vet and am still waiting for a call back. we got the bleeding to stop a little bit ago but I wouldn't say we're out of the woods yet. Demon is currently toweled as its helping to keep her calm.

I'm keeping an eye to make sure the bleeding doesn't start again.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
I am sorry to hear that.
Have you tried some flour or corn starch?
I am keeping Demon in my thoughts...

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, its the whole reason we keep corn starch in the house. We got it after her first night fright. It wasn't stopping with it and the boyfriend grabbed the pliers just in case we needed them, but the bleeding finally stopped.

On the phone with the vet now. She thinks Demon is going to be fine. She told me to add pedialyte to her water and give her some grapes, cut in half. We set up the quarantine cage for her tonight to give her some rest and to keep Birdy from bullying her.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I agree with Littletiel; I had the same issue with Kirby a few days ago, where he was bleeding worse than usual (I hate that I can say usual <_<). I put some flour on it and it worked like a charm.

Try calling an emergency vet? That's the only advice I can give you. You might have to pluck the feather, though I've never had to do that before and don't know much about it, so I can't really tell you whether or not you need to do it.

Good luck, I hope Demon will be okay! :hmm: Keep us updated.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Our vet is the only emergency exotic vet 4 hours around. Its why she's our vet. She saved the lives of two of my birds before.

The vet said if she doesn't pick at it and start the bleeding again then we shouldn't have to pull it. if she does, she said to call her back and she'll coach us through pulling it.

Demon is prone to night frights and has wound up in emergency care for it before. so the vet is going to give us a surgical medicine that stops bleeding immediately because she expects this to be a repeat thing for awhile.

Demon's set up in her cage now and is calm. Its almost midnight and we'll probably be up a couple hours monitoring her.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Also anyone have a good way of getting blood out of clothes? She bled all over my only work shirt...

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
Tide stain sticks!

Personally, I would just pull the feather. It's not hard, it just feels a little scary the first time you do it. There's a sticky in our sticky library that will guide you. (I'd like it directly but I'm on my phone.)

·
Registered
350 Posts
Personally, I would just pull the feather. It's not hard, it just feels a little scary the first time you do it. There's a sticky in our sticky library that will guide you. (I'd like it directly but I'm on my phone.)
I personally wouldn't pull a feather unless it was completely necessary. If the feather's stopped bleeding and is doing okay, I would just leave it alone. If you pluck it, a new one will grow in it's place and will be easily broken open again until it grows out fully. However, if it won't stop bleeding, then it does need to be plucked.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well we woke up this morning and Demon had figured out how to escape her cage. didn't take long to find her, she was sleeping on the side of Birdy's cage. Guess she doesn't like the idea of sleeping alone.

Also, the bleeding never restarted. everything is good and dry and she's not picking at her wing at all.

The shirt's ruined but all else is good. So I count that as a win. :)

·
Registered
350 Posts
Well we woke up this morning and Demon had figured out how to escape her cage. didn't take long to find her, she was sleeping on the side of Birdy's cage. Guess she doesn't like the idea of sleeping alone.
AWWWW!! That is too adorable! :love:

Also, the bleeding never restarted. everything is good and dry and she's not picking at her wing at all.
That's great news! Keep a close eye on her until the feather fully grows back in; you're not out of the woods yet. The new feather will be another blood feather, and it's very easy for a bird to smack it and reopen it again (speaking from experience; three accidents in two weeks <_<). Even when it does re-break, as long as you stop the bleeding it should be fine. I would also gently wash the injury in 3% hydrogen peroxide solution in order to prevent infection. I personally use one of these to do it:

Also, if you usually clip your birds, I would wait until the new feather is fully in place before clipping again so that the other feathers can protect the blood feather to help prevent it from getting bumped.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Demon hates people but loves Birdy. But Birdy can be a real bully at times so we quarantined Demon last night to be on the safe side.

We have a syringe like that so we'll be sure to pick up some hydrogen peroxide.

If when she needs another clip and there's a blood feather, we'll wait it out. Now that we know she's towel tame, it'll be easy for me to clip her myself. That way we won't have to squeeze Demon's clips into her vet visits.

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
I personally wouldn't pull a feather unless it was completely necessary. If the feather's stopped bleeding and is doing okay, I would just leave it alone. If you pluck it, a new one will grow in it's place and will be easily broken open again until it grows out fully. However, if it won't stop bleeding, then it does need to be plucked.
That's not exactly how it works. Once a blood feather has been damaged, it will fall out within a few days anyway and a new one will grow in its place. Not pulling it will only make the difference of these few days, and leaves the bird vulnerable to beginning to bleed again. It may not be necessary to pull the feather, but there's no real benefit to leaving it aside from avoiding the act of pulling itself.

·
Registered
350 Posts
That's not exactly how it works. Once a blood feather has been damaged, it will fall out within a few days anyway and a new one will grow in its place. Not pulling it will only make the difference of these few days, and leaves the bird vulnerable to beginning to bleed again. It may not be necessary to pull the feather, but there's no real benefit to leaving it aside from avoiding the act of pulling itself.
They don't always fall out. Sometimes, it's possible for a feather to mend if you leave it alone. One of Kirby's feathers was this close to mending, and then he smacked it off anyways :p But it never just fell out on it's own.

It all really depends. I personally wouldn't pluck the feather unless you have to, simply because you've never done it before (I think?). It might be better to let someone more experienced show you for your first time. Maybe if you can take Demon to the vet and have them show you? Even though it's simple, if done wrong pulling a feather can potentially lead to some serious issues.

Of course, that's all just my opinion. You should do whatever you think is best for Demon.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Or vet actually went over pulling a feather yesterday before sending us home due to Demon's tendency for night frights. We were told only to pull it if the bleeding wouldn't stop though.

Yesterday the vet actually had my boyfriend do all the assisting with demon yesterday instead of her tech because he thought it'd be vital teaching him how to hold and handle her to help me care for her maintenance at home.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Yesterday the vet actually had my boyfriend do all the assisting with demon yesterday instead of her tech because he thought it'd be vital teaching him how to hold and handle her to help me care for her maintenance at home.
Sounds like you've got a good vet! It is extremely important to know birdie first aid in case of emergencies.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
We have a wonderful vet. 3 years ago, when I lived with my best friend, she taught her how to handle my budgies to help me.

And last night it proved to be a great help when she broke her blood feather. and tonight Demon had another night fright while I was at work. I'm proud to say my boyfriend was able to handle her all by himself and he never touches her. (she bites so hard she draws quite a bit of blood and screams bloody murder while she does it) Luckily she didn't hurt herself again.

·
Registered
350 Posts
We have a wonderful vet. 3 years ago, when I lived with my best friend, she taught her how to handle my budgies to help me.

And last night it proved to be a great help when she broke her blood feather. and tonight Demon had another night fright while I was at work. I'm proud to say my boyfriend was able to handle her all by himself and he never touches her. (she bites so hard she draws quite a bit of blood and screams bloody murder while she does it) Luckily she didn't hurt herself again.
Wow, that all sounds pretty good! Hopefully Demon's bloodfeather will heal up quickly and nicely.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yep! Demon is doing great. She and Birdy are out and about right now, mostly chewing up the cats scratching posts. Her wing isn't swollen any more and it doesn't look to be bothering her any.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts