Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I especially live in a very cold place in Australia (up in the Blue Mountains) - minus 4. I bought a bird hammock but neither tiel will go in it - they hate it. I have now at night covered the cage with a fur rug. I know the native birds are out there in the wild and the freezing cold but I still worry about my two tiels being warm enough.

You folks that live in cold places - how do you make sure your tiels are warms at night?

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Arctic Freeze

In NE Pennsylvania it is summer now, but it does get very cold here in the winter. I keep my apartment fairly warm and will move Bennie's cage away from the window on really cold days or nights. If it is windy, I close the curtain to help prevent any drafts from reaching him.
Wild cockatiels don't live in the cold areas of Australia, do they? I thought of them as warm climate birds. But the native birds adapt very well to the cold weather.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Do you have a fan heater? Sometimes in the winter in Toronto it can get quite cold at night. When it's like that, I just turn on the fan heater. :D

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
We're also in the heat and humidity of summer, but it gets cold in Indiana during winters. We have Joey's cage away from the window, but use that shrink wrap see through plastic over the window to help keep out any drafts. At night we used a thick beach towel in addition to his usual cage cover.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks everyone. No cockatiels do not live in naturally cold areas of Australia - mostly very warm areas which is normally most of Australia. Same with budiges.

Cold weather parrots are more black cockatoos, white cockatoos, rozellas.

I have their cage far away from the window - opposite side of the room. The fur throw rug over their cage seems to be working a treat. Keeps any drafts out and plus it's toasty warm. If it gets colder I will put a heater in there at least to warm the room up before they go to bed.

Thanks again everyone! Me personally - I'm FREEZING! Haha.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Do you have a fan heater? Sometimes in the winter in Toronto it can get quite cold at night. When it's like that, I just turn on the fan heater. :D
Gotta be careful with fan heaters - sometimes the grill on it can be coated with Teflon.

I personally use an oil-filled heater, they're one of the most bird-safe heaters you can buy. Delonghi brand is my favorite.

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
I personally use an oil-filled heater, they're one of the most bird-safe heaters you can buy. Delonghi brand is my favorite.
I have a Delonghi oil column heater too! :D Keeps my 'tiels nice and comfortable during this freezing cold winter we're having.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts