Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering what could cause this? Happens most days for buttercup lately, she poos huge amounts of water and tiny bits of feces and urates. Any ideas? I'm probably going to the vet today if it's still bad but I've been before for things like this and they give me any answers so I'd like to know what it is that I should nag them to check for. That is, if you even think it's necessary..
Basically she pees a lot. Could this be due to a slow metabolism? I ask because I rotate their food during the day and when Darla is pooing dark green from eating their afternoon seeds, buttercup will still be pooing bright lime green from the morning colourful pellets she had hours and hours ago. I thought they had fast metabolises but it takes her a million years to poo out all her pellets.
Hope this made sense. Basically im asking if slow metabolism could make her poo very very watery (most days, some days are ok) and what other things it could be that's making her poo watery so the vet can check for them. Could it just be normal or is it definitely an indication she's unwell?

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
It could be diet or slow metabolism or just an individual trait. It might also have to do with her eating/drinking habits, like she might drink more water with her pellets than the others do. Do you use probiotics? That might be a place to start if not.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your reply. So slow metabolism could result in big puddle poos?
I don't use probiotics. I've only just recently realised that I should and I've been looking for the best one but I'm still unsure. I've been giving her colloidal silver in her water which is basically a natural antibiotic that won't do any harm if it's not needed. Much safer than regular antibiotics. That said, she was put on antibiotics by the vet a few weeks back and I'm really kinda mad that the vet didn't tell me she would need probiotics since I did ask if I'd need to give her anything else or if it would mess with her at all and she said no and told me I worry too much -_- not the best vet in the world that's for sure.
Her diet is the same as my other ones and her poo is fine, could it just be impacting buttercup differently? Buttercups poos vary greatly. They be really giant and 99% water at times (like a huge puddle) or they can be normal (overnight poos look normal because she's not drinking when she's asleep) or anything inbetween :(
To recap though, you don't think it's likely to be anything particularly bad? Like an infection or disease? I would like to know if there's an specific tests I should ask for since it's been this way a while. I know she's not diabetic because she was tested due to her watery poo but that's pretty much it.

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
You could get a chem panel done to check her kidney function.

It's always possible that there could be an underlying condition, of course, but lots of things can cause watery poop. Since she doesn't have any other symptoms, I'd probably be inclined to try the probiotics first. AviTech is my go-to company for supplements of any kind, but I don't know what shipping from them would be like for you.

Also check and see if there's any behavioral things that might explain her watery poops. For example, I used to get really freaked out that one of my girls would have super watery poops when I got home from work most days. Then I realized she was bathing in her water dish in the late afternoon, and that was the cause.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks enigma, I'm home all day most days and I don't see her taking baths in her water dish. She takes showers with me which does make her poo watery but they're watery all day usually regardless. I don't think it's stress because she's not at all the nervous type lol. She just drinks HEAPS.
I'll ask about the kidney function test and try to get my hands on the probiotics :) is it ok to give it to both my birds, even the one without watery poo? Or is it more of a "use if needed" kinda thing?

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
Probiotics are totally fine to give all your birds every day. :) It's one of those things where you can't really overdose them. It's just like humans eating yogurt every day.

ETA: For what it's worth, I'd try the probiotics before having blood taken for the chem panel. You might be able to avoid doing anything invasive if the probiotics fix it.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hmm I was wondering about that. Should I cancel my appointment for this afternoon then? Reschedule for after I've given her probiotics for say.. A week? Or two?
This appointment was really meant for Darlas nare but it seems almost healed up now so I was gonna take buttercup in her place.
I know, I know, I'm asking a lot of questions it's like I can't think for myself but I get super indecisive and anxious when it comes to my birdies health lol.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts