Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We brought our new tiel home today and she doesn't seem interested in drinking....maybe it's the bowl I am using.

What kind of bowls do you use? She's young, and my cage came with 2 sizes of stainless bowls---deep and shallow. I also have small ceramic ramikens that would work. I'm just curious what you use. Thanks.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Don't be alarmed if you don't see your tiel doing a lot of drinking, they're built to live in arid regions and don't seem to drink a great deal. Tito drinks from a stainless steel bowl that is big enough for him to bend down into and 'scoop' water with his lower beak. I see him do this occasionally but the main reason I know he drinks is because he has a special chirp that he only even makes immediately after drinking which I assume means, "How refreshing!"

I felt terrible one day recently when I removed the dish to refill it in the morning, got distracted and returned home to find I'd left it on the sink all day, and Tito without water. I took it in and offered it to him knowing he'd been without water for about 9hours, and he didn't want any.

Always have fresh water available but know that your bird might drink from it sparingly.

Enjoy your wonderful new tiel! Tito is now about 21 months old and I am still obsessed with him. You have picked a great species to keep as a companion.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Don't be alarmed if you don't see your tiel doing a lot of drinking, they're built to live in arid regions and don't seem to drink a great deal. Tito drinks from a stainless steel bowl that is big enough for him to bend down into and 'scoop' water with his lower beak. I see him do this occasionally but the main reason I know he drinks is because he has a special chirp that he only even makes immediately after drinking which I assume means, "How refreshing!"

I felt terrible one day recently when I removed the dish to refill it in the morning, got distracted and returned home to find I'd left it on the sink all day, and Tito without water. I took it in and offered it to him knowing he'd been without water for about 9hours, and he didn't want any.

Always have fresh water available but know that your bird might drink from it sparingly.

Enjoy your wonderful new tiel! Tito is now about 21 months old and I am still obsessed with him. You have picked a great species to keep as a companion.
I did that once too and felt so bad but as with Tito, Billy wasn't interested in it. By the way, Tito is beautiful!

·
Registered
97 Posts
Thank you so much! I should post a few pics that show his body, he has three lovely bands across his shoulders that I really like. I'd love to see pics of your bird!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts