Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please examine all Trill (and other prepackaged) millet spray carefully. I nearly fed this glob of glue to Fossil! :eek:
Has anyone else had this problem?

Attachments

·
Registered
6,100 Posts
Oh man:eek: Ive never had that problem but Ill make sure to look over any millet I give my birds from now on.

·
Registered
959 Posts
I get my millet straight from the pet store not packaged, so no glue for me!

But, will keep on the lookout! Thanks!

Thank goodness you didn't give it to Fossil.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Yeesh, I've bought this brand a few times, and its my regular seed brand, but found millet was cheaper at the pet store :eek:

·
Registered
13,738 Posts
I certainly will keep an eye on millet from now on

I remember baby food had glass in it and this poor woman nearly fed it to her baby, glad she noticed it on time

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Gee! I buy Trill millet spray too. I will have to closely examine it now before giving it to my boy.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
I've never bought Trill millet spray... their seed doesn't look too good either... Woolies Select brand looks better.

·
Registered
534 Posts
I have to get my millet spray in a 15kg boxes, I have ordered in online before but had some bad stuff sent and had to throw loads away, got a partial refund but now I go to a store and ask to check the box before I buy.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Is millet spray supposed to be given as a treat or provided all the time?

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It is a treat but I have been giving it daily while training Fossil. I have to make sure she eats a breakfast before hand because between her usual food and millet spray, she'd much rather just eat the millet spray. :p

·
Registered
61 Posts
Lol. Well my 2 have been getting it all the time. I'll use it more sparingly now and the get Cinnabon tamer.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
I've never bought Trill millet spray... their seed doesn't look too good either... Woolies Select brand looks better.
My bird loves Trill seeds. Do you think Wollies Select seeds are really better? I could try them and see if he likes them.

I have just bought him some peas. We will see if he likes them!

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I don't use Trill or Woolies for seed but another brand, forgot the name since I keep the seed in a tupperware in the fridge after opening it.
But I have been told you can test the quality of the seed by trying to sprout the seeds. If over, I think it was 80%, of the seed sprouts then it's a good quality of seed.

·
Registered
11,093 Posts
Wow!! I buy mine online but I always check it due to things like this, not to mention bugs and such, but I am yet to have a problem. Glad you posted this so others can be sure to check before giving it to their bird(s).

Is millet spray supposed to be given as a treat or provided all the time?
It is okay a few times a week, but not constantly, so yes, I would give it more as a treat. My birds get it 2 times during the week and then on the weekend.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
My bird loves Trill seeds. Do you think Wollies Select seeds are really better? I could try them and see if he likes them.

I have just bought him some peas. We will see if he likes them!
Well, I've never actually bought Woolies brand and I probably won't unless there was nothing else! I just think it looks better from the ingredients list, it hasn't got as many filler seeds as Trill. But it does have added vitamins and to be honest I don't think I trust them! I have bought Bird Munchies (from Woolies/coles/big W or Hagen from a pet store. I recommend Bird Munchies, but I do give my tiels Trill seed sticks occasionally :)

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
I just bought something new today instead of "Trill".
It is called "Gourmet Cockatiel Blend" (endorsed by the Australian National Cockatiel Society). We will see if he likes it... :)
I will still mix it with pellets and peas of course...

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
I just bought something new today instead of "Trill".
It is called "Gourmet Cockatiel Blend" (endorsed by the Australian National Cockatiel Society). We will see if he likes it... :)
I will still mix it with pellets and peas of course...

That's Bird Munchies - the brand I buy. I could go for a more expensive pet shop brand but I find that brand is great value... it's only a few dollars... It's a pity none of the Woolies stock it around here though, because I ended having to buy the Gourmet Parrot Blend and Arnella doesn't like it as much, picks around all the added pellets.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts