Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a whitefaced lutino male paired with a female whitefaced pearl. Their first clutch they threw a whitefaced lutino and something else. 'She' (sex unknown) is grey with some silver pearling. Light grey cheek patches have just shown up, as well as a light silver streak on her crest. Could some one tell me what this colouration would be? I can't find it, since I have the whitefaced lutino. He doesn't seem to be an option for that mutation calculater thing. And would that mean that my whitefaced lutino baby would be a male genetically speaking? Is there a place I could find out the sexes my pair would throw and what colours I will be getting?

·
Registered
13,610 Posts
the WF lutino is a girl based on the father being a WF lutino and mom not being lutino.

to get a pearl, your male carries the pearl gene and the pearl baby could be either gender

do you have a photo of the confusing baby?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay I hope this works... It's not a great picture. The Lutino beside 'her' is from another clutch. I'm not so worried about the sex, but if I can know that's great. If not, that's okay to. I just want to know what my pair will give me colour wise.

So my whitefaced lutino babies will always be female then? That's great to know!

Are there any other mutations I will get from this pairing?

Attachments

·
Registered
13,610 Posts
she looks like a regular WF, so dad is not carrying the pearl gene. because dad is a WF lutino, all WF lutinos/lutinos will be girls, and any grey/normal WF will be boys

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay. So these two colourations, are they the only two I will get? Or are there more?

And does that mean that my she is really a he then?:blush:

·
Registered
13,610 Posts
your WF normal baby is a boy i am pretty sure and the lutino is a girl. :)

there could be other variations, depending on hidden splits, or that could be it. you never know unless you know all the genetics through history and breeding and some visual clues. :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, that's what I thought. I'm sure I should get some pearl in there since mommy is a pearl (she's the one in my profile picture). But I don't know their history as to splits and such. I'm sure I could ask the breeder who I purchased them from but I'm up for surprises to =)

Thanks for the help you've given me! I LOVE this site!!!

·
Registered
10,897 Posts
All the female babies will be lutino and all the male babies will be something else. Lutino eyes are very distinctive so you'll know the sex of the babies as soon as they hatch.

All the babies should be whiteface since both parents are whiteface, but the lutino baby looks like she's regular lutino not whiteface lutino. Is this a trick of the light? A WFL baby should be pure white, with no yellow or orange feathers.

I don't see any pearls on the grey boy, but all your male chicks will be split to pearl since they'll all get the gene from their mother. Sex-linked genes don't pass from mother to daughter so your lutino girls will not inherit the gene from her. If you ever get a baby that's visual pearl it means that your male is split pearl. You won't get any pearl babies at all if dad doesn't have the gene. Pearl, lutino and cinnamon are sex-linked mutations with complicated inheritance rules. There's more info at http://talkcockatiels.com/showthread.php?t=26845 if you're interested.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts