Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone

Today I went down to my cockatiel's cage and I noticed some markings on the wall. It was like wet pellets. I had a lovebird who used to regurgitate and it was kind of like that. He seems fine otherwise. He's five months now. How do I know if it's regurgitation? Would he be too young for that?

Thanks

Carol

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
Tiels don't normally regurgitate. Unlike other birds, tiels share in nesting duties so there is no need for the male to feed the hen. Some tiels on here have been known to do it for their owner but my understanding of regurgitation is that it's actually done to something, whether that's a person, another bird, a toy, or a mirror. Was it near any of those things?

It could also be poop. Or that he flung pellets at your wall. My birds used to get that stuff in the weirdest places.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Roxy. One of his favourite toys is near the wall. He was sitting on it at the time. He's been doing heart shaped wings a lot and when I went down to see him a moment ago he was sitting on the toy and making a low chirping noise. It did look like pellets but the strange thing was they were wet. I didn't find any in his water dish (my lovebird used to put them in his dish and the wall would be splattered with wet pellets) but I suppose he could have gone to the water dish and dipped them in and then spat it at the wall. I'II keep an eye on him.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Murray does regurgitate for me. It's impossible to tell whether or not it was regurgitation or vomit without seeing him do it. If they are regurgitating you will see the classic 'bobbing' motion of the head. If it's vomit you will see them shaking their heads and spitting out the seeds uncontrollably - although Murray sometimes sprays the food out this when she's regurgitated a beakful and doesn't know what to do with it!

If he seems fine otherwise and is romancing that toy it seems pretty likely that he regurgitated for it. It's not common in tiels, but having had a mini shower of soggy food more than once I can attest that some do regurgitate! Generous little mites ;)

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Charlotte. He is certainly very attached to the toy and was singing and doing a chirping sound on it, then he started whistling tunes. So hopefully there isn't anything wrong with him. I'II keep an eye on him. Thanks

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Flynn regurgitates on nearly anything... one we really don't like is the light shade that is usually above our dinners...
He was ill a few months ago and he was vomiting, all puffed up barely flapping just sat on my knee, he wanted to eat but couldnt keep anything down.

When he regurgitates he's still annoying as possible xD! naughty lil thing won't leave me or my mum alone or he'll go where he shouldnt like /the light/

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
Birds also will sometimes vomit if they get something stuck in their throat or are spooked while eating. Just watch him for now and make sure this was a one-off episode. If not, he should have a vet check.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone. It's been a few days now and I'm happy to say he's been doing really well. I did notice a moth in the room that day and he seemed a bit frightened of it so that's another possibility. Thanks everyone for your help. It's so helpful to have this forum :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts