Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

This is Sunny, my 10 year old female. About three days ago I found her with her neck pinched between two bars in her cage. She was making strangled highpitch squeaks and had already gone into shock. When I pulled her out she fell into my hand eyes closed, wouldn't respond to touch or my voice. Her tongue was swollen, and when she did wake up it would only be for 30 secs before falling back into a non-responsive sleep.

We rushed her to an exotics vet (It's the closest to an avian vet near me)
were she stayed in an emergency incubator for 24 hours. She recovered from the shock and is at home now. Still weak but eating. Mostly soft foods like eggs, cooked corn, whole grain unseasioned pasta, cooked broccoli, cooked peas. She'll eat seed if I use flock mentality and pretend to eat seed too (While making plenty of 'Yuuuum!' or other enjoyment like sounds). She won't touch pellet currently.

While she is recovering and getting strength back her voice doesn't seem to be. It's much higher then a normal cockatiels and she doesn't seem to want to make noise (or can't) as for as long. Her normal 'contact' calls for me have been reduced to a single high pitched squeak.
Not only is this throwing me off having to learn a new set of sounds for what she needs. I recorded it and played it back to the other tiels that she normally interacts with and they don't respond or react to it, so I'm worried that she won't be able to interact with them as well.

Has anyone else had experience with this?
Does it go away or heal?

·
Registered
164 Posts
I'm so sorry! It must be very difficult for both you and your Sunny girl. She might still have some shock and maybe some damage. Maybe you can call an avian vet and ask about it?

I'm sure there are some herbs that could help with possible damage and shock (chamomile tea has a soothing effect and is safe for birds, but I do not know about possible damage to the neck area.)

Please keep us posted :)

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
Is she on any meds? She's probably very sore, so I would ask the vet about pain meds for her at the very least. You might also discuss an anti inflammatory or even steroids. I imagine it will take time for the swelling to go down, and hopefully her voice will improve after that.

What size bar spacing do you have in your cage? If her neck got caught, it's possible the bars are dangerously wide, and you will need to get one with smaller spacing.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts