Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Banned
2,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever used the Vitakraft Australian seed mix it has all natural seeds and millet and grass and stuff from Australia is it a good seed mix is it better than regular seed.

·
Registered
8,164 Posts
Then why comment lol.
Has anyone ever used the Vitakraft Australian seed mix
:p Because we cannot hear your tone of voice on the forum, it is difficult to know if you questions are rhetorical or genuine. ParrotletsRock took the question as genuine, and therefore answered it as such.

I also have not used that seed mix..actually I have only used treats from Vitakraft..never any of their seed mixes. However, I try to stick to very plain seed mixes. As in seed only..not added dried fruit bits, grass, corn, colored "crap", etc. I only buy boring plain seed for my birds..I don't want to pay extra money for all those fillers it sounds like that seed mix has in it.

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
I have used vita craft seed sticks, however I don't like them... They are just a tiny bit of seed stick on a big stick.
Yeah, my general impression of Vitakraft is that it's a mediocre brand. Not the worst of what you find for birds at pet stores, but also not what I'd consider high quality. (Then again, I think we've established that I'm kind of a snob about my bird supplies.)

·
Banned
2,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
:p Because we cannot hear your tone of voice on the forum, it is difficult to know if you questions are rhetorical or genuine. ParrotletsRock took the question as genuine, and therefore answered it as such.

I also have not used that seed mix..actually I have only used treats from Vitakraft..never any of their seed mixes. However, I try to stick to very plain seed mixes. As in seed only..not added dried fruit bits, grass, corn, colored "crap", etc. I only buy boring plain seed for my birds..I don't want to pay extra money for all those fillers it sounds like that seed mix has in it.
Lol I was saying it in a nice tone of voice.Also isnt it good for cockatiels since its things they would eat in Australia or am I wrong.

·
Registered
8,164 Posts
I think you're wrong. There isn't very much information online about the food, but from what I've read, and the photos I've seen of the food, it appears to have a lot of sunflower seeds in the mix and plenty of fillers.

It does have good reviews, where people say their birds love it...however I have a feeling they are throwing away about 30-40% of the mix during food changes.

You can see a picture of the mix here on this product page: http://www.northernparrots.com/mobile/vitakraft-australian-food-750g-prod5950/

·
Registered
648 Posts
Heaps of stuff here that you can get for cockatiels is pretty crap to be honest. Just because it's Aussie doesn't mean it's necessarily better. Getting something as close to their natural diet as possible that fits their nutritional needs is always the goal but not all bird food companies are as good at it as you might think.

·
Banned
2,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think you're wrong. There isn't very much information online about the food, but from what I've read, and the photos I've seen of the food, it appears to have a lot of sunflower seeds in the mix and plenty of fillers.

It does have good reviews, where people say their birds love it...however I have a feeling they are throwing away about 30-40% of the mix during food changes.

You can see a picture of the mix here on this product page: http://www.northernparrots.com/mobile/vitakraft-australian-food-750g-prod5950/
It dosent have much sunflower seeds and if its things from Australia theres no harm in feeding it as long as they are getting everything else in their diet.

·
Banned
2,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Heaps of stuff here that you can get for cockatiels is pretty crap to be honest. Just because it's Aussie doesn't mean it's necessarily better. Getting something as close to their natural diet as possible that fits their nutritional needs is always the goal but not all bird food companies are as good at it as you might think.
Yes but if they eat that plus all their normal stuff they get veggies etc then its good.

·
Registered
31 Posts
But why ask, then, if you don't really care about the answer?
No accusations, I am genuinely wondering.

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
I had a look online, their products sort of remind me of Kaytee's products, which I'm not a fan of.

·
Registered
8,164 Posts
It has more sunflower seeds than I would be comfortable feeding my flock. They get a varied diet with seed, pellets, grain mash, and veggies...but even considering the large variety they receive in the rest of their diet, I would not consider feeding Vitakraft as my seed mix, which makes up a large part of a cockatiel diet.

Vitakraft is a mediocre company that sells mediocre foods..and that is why I have only tried their treats and none of their food. A company should impress me with their quality of products and their attention to proper avian nutrition if I am going to buy their products. They have done neither.

·
Banned
2,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It has more sunflower seeds than I would be comfortable feeding my flock. They get a varied diet with seed, pellets, grain mash, and veggies...but even considering the large variety they receive in the rest of their diet, I would not consider feeding Vitakraft as my seed mix, which makes up a large part of a cockatiel diet.

Vitakraft is a mediocre company that sells mediocre foods..and that is why I have only tried their treats and none of their food. A company should impress me with their quality of products and their attention to proper avian nutrition if I am going to buy their products. They have done neither.
Your talking as if u have it but u dont I do and not much sunflower seeds goes into their bowl.

·
Registered
8,164 Posts
I can see from the product image that it has too many sunflower seeds and fillers in it. I do not need to have the product in my possession to tell this. It's very clear from the photo.

You and I surely have different ideas of the "right" amount of sunflower seeds for their birds' diet. That is perfectly fine. We all have different ideas of diet. We are both correct in our own eyes.

Please read the forum's cockatiel diet sticky if you haven't already. :) It is very interesting and eye-opening.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Feeding a "natural" diet is a nice thing to dream of, but keep in mind at the end of the day our parrots are not wild. They do not fly for miles and miles to forage like wild parrots do. They do not experience the weather changes that accompany seasons, nor the availability of food that follows it. They do not have the choice to eat foods during different growth stages, or when their body calls for a certain nutrient. We cannot hope to provide them with the huge range of seeds, grains, grasses, shoots, tubers, bugs, and so on, that a wild parrot would have access to.

From the picture, that mix is mostly sunflower seed and those strange cereal puffs. For that reason alone, I wouldn't feed it. The fact that I can't find a complete ingredient list anywhere is concerning, too.

·
Banned
2,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
WOW LOL doesn't make your response any less rude.
Im just gonna ignore what u just said.It wasnt rude I was saying it in a nice way and u would know that if u read the comments so your the one being rude and I put in LOL so people would know im being nice about it.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts