Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I usually feed my girls the mini Nutriblend Vetafarm pellets which are coloured and fruity flavoured but today I bought them the maintence Vetafarm pellets and they seem to like them much more even though they aren't coloured or flavoured like the Nutriblend ones. My question is what are the actual differences between the two? I googled it and from what I found Vetafarm itself says that they're very similar (they don't really go into the differences at all which is a bit iffy to me. When the question is "what are the differences" but you get an answer telling you the similarities instead it's a bit iffy if you ask me) and customers have mixed opinions on it. I don't know what impact the colouring and flavouring has in the Nutriblend ones but I'm assuming its not ideal, yes? Are there much higher amounts of sugar?

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
I'm not 100% certain either but I'd say there probably isn't much difference, nutrition-wise. I have used both kinds of these pellets before, and yes, the Nutriblend pellets have higher sugar levels in them. The food colouring is natural which is good. I'm pretty sure the maintenance pellets are apple flavoured but don't quote me on that (I ran out of these ones about a week ago so I don't have the packet anymore). My 'tiels prefer the maintenance over the nutriblend, too.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's so interesting since everyone always advises getting the Nutriblend ones because birds like them more. When will the lies end!? Haha. The maintenance packet I have doesn't say anything about any flavouring and I couldn't find any sugar content stuff on the packets either so I was like :/. Then again I only got the 350g packet of maintenance pellets so maybe it's on the larger ones? I don't know.
Thanks for your reply though, I think I'll be getting the maintenance ones from now on. Less sugar and happier bird tummies! Do you know if the Nutriblend ones have any impact on bird urine? Mine have had yellow and green pee lately and the vet is stumped. My main reason behind trying the maintenance was to get rid of the food colouring and see if the pee cleared up

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
Yeah, getting the maintenance ones is a good idea. From memory I'm pretty sure my guys had funny coloured poop whenever they ate the Nutriblend. And the coloured poop can seep into the urine, making it seem like the urine is the problem but if it's the pellets it's probably just colour from the poop. Hopefully that should clear up! :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts