Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I'm hoping for a list of visual clues for sexing young cockatiels. I have been reading advice on sexing from a website called just cockatiels. On there they use cheek patch colouring (grey or yellow streaking) as well as barring and wing spots. I have guessed that my normal grey is a hen as she has grey streaking through her cheek patch and has wing spots on all wing feathers (she is currently starting her first moult) I also guessed my white faced grey is a male as he's got faint white cheek patches not a full white face yet tho! And when looking at the wings he has spots on the first wing feathers not the secondary. But!!!!!! He has just moulted a tail feather (the white and grey one seen on hens) and the new feather is coming in the same! So now I'm questioning the online tips! He/she is also split to pied as there is white feathers on the back of his head. I'm very confused right now. I was hoping to know their sexes as they are for sale and many people ask what sex they are. Hope you can help! Thanks

·
Registered
23 Posts
sexing young cockatiels would be difficult, the only way to really figure out is by doing a DNA test if you want to know when they're at a young age. I got my cockatiels when they were young and thought Raichu was male and Hano was female due to color and feather hints of gender, but it ended up being the opposite. I'm hoping you can figure out the gender for your cockatiels, though!

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
You can't really go by cheek patch. I'd ignore that advice. Tail feathers won't be an indication until after the first molt. And since the WF is split to pied, it could take years for him to molt out all his girly looking tail feathers. Pied affects other mutations like that. But, after the first molt, if the WF does not have a stark white face and keeps a grey face, he's definitely a girl. Same for the normal grey, no yellow face, definitely a girl.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for your replies guys. At the moment it looks like all 4 from this clutch are hens! Abit of a strange ratio lol none of them sing or even attempt to but they are only 5 months old. Does anyone know when boys to start showing off?

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
It varies. I had a male pearl that didn't reveal he was actually male until he was almost a year old. Until then, we swore he was a girl. Every bird is different so they may be late bloomers. And not all boys are going to sing.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Out of all my cockatiels only one of my males does a wolf whistle and he's from a pet home but now lives in my aviary. I'm surprised they have never tried to copy my finches or canaries lol but I don't see it as a necessary skill for my birds. I don't personally see why so many people want males, females are just as loving

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
I prefer females myself due to how cuddly they are. Males can be more nippy, especially when hormonal.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts