Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So we put our girls outside in a smaller cage on the nicer days. Earlier today we put them out. While we usually sit with them, today we didn't, opting to check on them every couple of minutes. Well my boyfriend goes to check on them and I hear him shouting "What are you doing!? No! Shoo! Get! Go away!" So I run out asking him what's wrong, and lo and behold there's a pigeon sitting atop the cage with not the slightest care in the word. The boyfriend was quite angry about it, but I couldn't help but find the little visitor a funny surprise.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Little freeloader. We get this all the time at Fallen Feathers; wild birds getting stuck in the exotics room, the bird nursery, the duck pen, and the raptor aviaries all trying to get free food. Especially doves, pigeons, and sparrows <_<

That is adorable, though! I don't know why people hate on pigeons so much! Sure, they poop a lot, but so do almost every other species of bird! Even the majestic and noble owls...they poop so much, and it gets EVERYWHERE.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My boyfriend is afraid of diseases, which I understand. I do love pigeons though.

I don't know if it because of the food (which wouldn't be a surprise) or if it was because Birdy and Demon kept flock calling every time they heard another bird. xD

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
Aww! Sometimes blackbirds will visit my 'tiels while they are outside. It's cute, but I can understand the concern of contagious diseases, especially if the wild bird is on top of your 'tiels cage and poops into it or something.

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
I'd put something on top of the cage next time just to be safe. You never can be too careful. I never left my birds alone because we had eagles and hawks in our area and that always scared me.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Our outdoor cage actually does have a cover over the top. We rarely see hawks or falcons here, but on the rare occasion I have spotted them. We live in very busy, noisy apartments, but we do typically sit outside with them. Just in case. The only time they're outside and we're not with them is when we're deep cleaning. Usually the doors are open so we can still keep an eye on them or hear them if we can't see them.

Is west nile contagious from bird to bird? the vet talked to us about vaccinating (its a very common disease in wild birds here) but we didn't have the funds at the time and the mosquitoes aren't out yet...

·
Registered
885 Posts
At my old house, 3-4 crimson rosellas would turn up and just sit on my patio furniture near my outdoor cages when I put the tiels in them in the morning. Sometimes they would chatter with the tiels but usually they would just sit there for up to an hour. It was so amazing to see! They're such pretty birds. I got photos one day but i've lost them all I think. I'll have to see if I can find them again.

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
Is west nile contagious from bird to bird? the vet talked to us about vaccinating (its a very common disease in wild birds here) but we didn't have the funds at the time and the mosquitoes aren't out yet...
Yes it is. I would definitely vaccinate if you can. It's very contagious.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes it is. I would definitely vaccinate if you can. It's very contagious.
Thank you. I saw it often when I interned at veterinary clinics but was always unsure of its contagiousness. The girls are going back to the vet in about week, so I'll have them vaccinated then.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts