Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've just come home from my annual visit to the vet and she said my boy is fine. :) I was a bit concerned because he has lost 3 grams, but she said he is OK. She also weighed him after trimming his wings and I don't remember if he was weighed before or after trimming his wings last year. As he is a plucker, a couple of feathers he has plucked out could also weigh 3 grams.
Anyway, she confirmed (like I thought) that the plucking is most likely behavioural because he looks like a really healthy kid, but that if I want to be 100% sure he should have a blood test, so I am thinking about it.
I would never ever want to feel like I didn't do something that I could have done in case something happens. I love this kid too much.

·
Registered
878 Posts
# grams could also be accounted for by a full or empty crop... how much food is in the intestinal tract etc.
Yes, I've seen that, too. If you weigh a bird at different times throughout the day you will notice variations. A tiel's 3 gram fluctuation is no cause for concern.

·
Registered
878 Posts
3 grams is like one good morning poop. (I may or may not know this from experience.)
Been there and worn that - we know it's from experience with these tiels ;)

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
Honestly, I only start worrying about weight loss when it's 10% of the body weight or more. Anything else is pretty normal for a tiel.

Did the vet give any ideas on how to help with the plucking?

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Did the vet give any ideas on how to help with the plucking?
Well, she said most of the things I already knew because I did read many threads about plucking and solutions.
She said it could be that he doesn't eat enough veggies (although she said pellets should be OK too if he eats them) and suggested big spinach leaves with which he can play and which he can shred, so I will buy a couple of big leaves for him to play with.
She also said to keep sexual stimuli away from him because masturbating with a toy for example can cause frustration and frustration can cause plucking.
She said they use braces rather than collars. I don't know if it would be a solution. As I know him, he likes to be naked and I don't think he would ever want a harness like other tiels for example. A breeder once tried a soft collar on him and he went mad and torn it off within seconds...

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
I'm glad there's nothing serious to worry about. Plucking can be such a frustrating thing to deal with >.<

1 - 10 of 10 Posts