Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has any member used a vinegar solution as a disinfectant around new born chicks.

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
Vinegar is perfectly safe to use...but why are you using it around the babies?

·
Registered
246 Posts
I have always used cider vinegar but my cockatiel doesn't mess her cage as much as my last bird so haven't needed to use anything except warm water recently. can't say the same about my carpets though.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Roxy, I use diluted white vinegar to keep the area around the nest box clean.The reason is to try and prevent MITE. Because I have a large flight cage which extends out onto the garden.Two years ago I had MITE and it took a very long time to get rid of them, im hoping this will be the Prevention instead of a cure.

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
Bro how can we use vinegar with soaked seed i means in how much quantity
I'm not sure what you're asking here. Why would you soak the seeds in vinegar?

Hi Roxy, I use diluted white vinegar to keep the area around the nest box clean.The reason is to try and prevent MITE. Because I have a large flight cage which extends out onto the garden.Two years ago I had MITE and it took a very long time to get rid of them, im hoping this will be the Prevention instead of a cure.
I'm not sure if this will prevent the mites, but it's worth a shot. Vinegar is perfectly safe to use around birds as a cleaning agent so there are no worries there.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I'm not sure what you're asking here. Why would you soak the seeds in vinegar?

I'm not sure if this will prevent the mites, but it's worth a shot. Vinegar is perfectly safe to use around birds as a cleaning agent so there are no worries there.
bro i never soaked seed in vinegar. i soak black chickpea.white beans and pulses in water,but when i serve this to my birds its smell after some time, tell me how much quantity i add vinegar to stop smell.

Note. sorry my english is little bad :p

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
bro i never soaked seed in vinegar. i soak black chickpea.white beans and pulses in water,but when i serve this to my birds its smell after some time, tell me how much quantity i add vinegar to stop smell.
The smell means they are spoiled and need to be thrown out. I would never add vinegar to a bird's food, they most likely wont eat it. I only added cider vinegar to my bird's drinking water and that was a very small amount, only a capful.

·
Registered
8,164 Posts
Some people add Apple Cider Vinegar to seeds when making sprouts, to prevent bacteria growth. The ACV should be added at the start of the process. If they start smelling then they've gone bad and you can't save them.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
We use cider vinegar for sprouting seeds and it does the trick regarding bacteria growth prevention. We also add cider vinegar to their water to keep it fresh during the day and prevent fungi growth. Its just a bit of vinegar in the water and it works fine. Just want to stress that we always use filtered water , which is changed everyday or more than once during the day , whenever necessary .

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
What is vinegar like as a disinfectant for nest boxes? I would worry the smell would be intense, but after sitting 6 months to a year it should be okay.....?

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
The smell dissipates pretty quickly, so it doesn't linger and shouldn't be an issue.

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
The smell dissipates pretty quickly, so it doesn't linger and shouldn't be an issue.
Phew! Good to know! I usually use a beach or lysol solution mixed with water as a disinfectant. I like the idea of using vinegar much much better!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts