Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone got Vetafarm probiotics? I got some but when I bought it home I opened it and there was no seal on it at all and I don't know if that's normal? I was expecting some kind of safety seal on the bottle but nope. The place I bought it from is shut now so I can't call them, anyone know?

·
Registered
92 Posts
I was considering buying it when my birdies were sick.

I asked the bird vet if they needed probiotics and he reckons they've done many experientments on probiotics and can't vouch for the efficacy of probiotics. He also said that human probiotics dont necessarily help with birds

But I am not 100% sure - maybe he wanted me to save money on probiotics and go see him instead.. even though these guys are affiliated
http://www.aavac.com.au/find-your-local-avian-veterinarian/

·
Registered
414 Posts
How do I say this. Most animal supplements don't come with tamper-evident packaging. Does that make sense? The seals and stuff are very commonly left off. I buy a lot of supplements for finches and nothing is tamper sealed except for stuff vacuum sealed in plastic bags. I think probiotics are good to use. I have a little parrot finch that was on antibiotics and she gets probiotics in her egg food per vet's recommendation. I use Morning Bird brand which is formulated just for birds.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you both for your replies. Probiotics are definitely good for your little birdies, of this I am sure. I've been told that human probiotics would work just fine too but that's just what I've been told, I don't know if that bits true. I assume it is. I'm sending your vet some long distance very suspicious looks for telling you otherwise!
I called the place and they said that there should have been a ring around the lid that snaps when it's opened. You know the kind, I'm bad at describing things haha. So I'm taking it back and getting it replaced. I was wondering if they'd have a seal at all on animal stuff but it made me uncomfortable thinking that someone had opened it as I bought it from a place that had lots of birds in it and I'm super paranoid about contamination and disease and stuff.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts