Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I uncovered the 'tiels cage this morning to find Honey's face and some of the perches covered in vomit. I let them out and Honey just sat in one spot, fluffed up, and went to sleep. Henry was singing to her non-stop like it was his very last chance to win her over. She let me touch her on the wing -- which she usually does not allow. Alarm bells started ringing in my head so immediately I phoned my vet but, being a Sunday, I had to leave a message and wait for them to ring me back. In the meantime I offered Honey some millet, which she usually can't resist, but she wasn't interested at all. Her feet were really dark pink so she was obviously dehydrated, and after a while I got her to have a few sips of water, but she just instantly vomited it back up. She looked so weak and sad that I honestly thought she wasn't going to make it through today. :cry:

I got a call back from the vet's, but it wasn't my avian vet. She won't be at work until Tuesday (I really hope they can call her in tomorrow). So I rushed Honey down there (about a ten minute drive) and they're going to keep her in overnight, give her some fluids, antibiotics and hopefully a crop flush, I think she might have something stuck in there. They're going to give me a call tomorrow to let me know how she's doing. I hope they put a night light on for her, I forgot to tell the vet so I got my dad to call them about that (I was at work and couldn't call). It was so hard leaving her there by herself, not knowing if she was going to be okay :cry: I didn't want to leave her, she looked so scared. I'm hopeful though because she did begin to perk up a little at the vet's.

The worst part is, I may have to leave her there for a whole week as my family and I are going across the country to stay with my grandma and I always bring the 'tiels with us. Henry is coping as well as I am with this idea. :( I hope I can visit Honey tomorrow and bring her her favourite treats. I hope she made it through the night. :cry: I apologize for the ramble, I guess what I'm wanting to ask here is if you can please keep Honey in your thoughts and in your prayers; she is a very strong fiesty girl but seeing her almost unable to stand on her own two feet was very frightening and brought me to tears. It all happened so quickly and in the forefront of my mind I'm aware of the fact that when birds show signs of being really sick, it's usually too late. But now I've done all I can for her and it's up to the vets and fate.

Please send my Honey girl some healing thoughts. I know she can fight through this. Please get well soon Honey, I love you so so much <3

·
Registered
17 Posts
Oh, how scary for you all - we send our chirps, wing stretches and best bird and people wishes to Honey and, of course, to you, and wish Honey a quick recovery.

Dave, Qash and Aitch

·
Registered
878 Posts
Oh, so sorry - get better soon Honey!

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Oh no, not Honey! :( I will definitely keep her in my thoughts, as well as you and the rest of your flock. -hugs-
Keep us updated!

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
Good thoughts coming your way! For what it's worth, Roo has had 4 separate episodes of an undiagnosed GI illness where she vomits and loses the ability to digest food for a few days. It's very scary every time it happens, but she has recovered every time too. I know Honey's situation may be different, but I just wanted to offer you that hope that it's not always too late for a bird with significant symptoms to get better.

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
Hugs, prayers, love, scritches and all Joey's and my best thoughts of comfort are being sent to Honey and you.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I hope she gets better! We're with you :)
Hugs! Keep us informed!

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you everyone for your kind words. It's very much appreciated.

Not much of an update... No word from the vet yet, if it starts getting late I'm going to ring them and ask how she's doing.

Henry is acting quite crazy today -- singing non-stop, pacing around frantically and having screaming episodes. He's been stalking Coco as if he's Honey, too. I'm trying to calm him down with his favourite foods, but to no avail. Sophie and Coco know something's up but are mostly acting as if Honey never left.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Sorry to hear she is sick, sending positive thoughts and healing your way.

·
Registered
786 Posts
I am so sorry to hear Honey is ill...my thoughts and prayers are with you both. Please update us. xoxo to Honey.

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
The vet called this afternoon. The bad news is: Honey has a yeast infection and had some fibers stuck in her crop (most likely from the rope perches, which I have now removed). She has to stay in the vet's care for a week. The good news is she is improving (and survived the night, phew!). The vet did a crop flush and has her on meds twice a day. Baytril, Nystatin and a couple of other medicines I'm not familar with. The avian vet who has seen Honey several times before is back tomorrow so I know she will be well looked after for the week.

I went to visit Honey this evening and took her some goodies: millet, pellets, silverbeet, a couple of toys and another perch. She was looking rather messed up from being handled by the vet but other than that she was animated and chirped at me and my partner when she first saw us, and then went straight for the millet! :) She initially seemed a little stressed (or excited) but quietened down and chirped softly at me. I could tell she was exhausted but I was soo happy to see her talking and moving around. Here she is in her hospital cage:

We're going to visit Honey tomorrow morning before we leave for our trip, and my partner is going to take her some treats on Thursday, and she should be back home by the weekend. I'm not sure if I'll have another update for you guys before then, but I'll try and post if I have time. The vet is going to regularly call me to update me on her progress so I have to trust in their ability and not worry too much. It's so hard being away from my baby, knowing I won't be able to see her for four days. :( After seeing how much better she was today I'm feeling positive that she will pull through. Hang in there Honey girl.

·
Registered
885 Posts
I am so glad to hear she is doing a little better! The fact that she responded to seeing you and went for the millet are just great. Get better soon Honey!

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
I'm glad she's doing better! It's also good news that she has a diagnosis because now they know how to treat it. Yeast infections are usually very treatable and it's a great sign that she wanted the millet! Sounds like it's a good thing you caught this when you did, although I'm sure it's tough having to leave town.

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
Hooray for improvement! I am so glad she is improving and responded to you. Although it is natural to still worry, I am sure it eases your mind to know she will continue improving while you are on your trip.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts