Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all!

I'm not a very strict vegan, but I do try to eat and drink responsibly. Murray faces the same nutritional issues as me I guess...how to get protein and calcium? I feed both Murray and myself chia seeds (dry, wet and sprouted) which is something. I do admit last week I added a bit of chicken (ethically sourced!) to Murray's brown rice, and she LOVED it.

Having discovered that Murray is more likely a lady I've been thinking more about calcium too, and how people always recommend eggs with shells ground in. I don't mind doing this at all if necessary.

I'm interested in nutrition in general, and i wondered if there are any vegan or veggie tiel owners on here and how you get on? Or perhaps you aren't vegetarian yourself but your tiel is!

·
Registered
230 Posts
Technically, cockatiels are mostly veggies, aren't they? It's not like you're trying to feed a cat (please don't be a vegan with a cat).

Eggs are good, if your bird will eat them. I haven't tried that with Cassie yet but it's definitely a good source. There are veggies like kale and broccoli that are pretty high relatively in the calcium thing.

I've seen cuttlebone being sold as a calcium supplement but I'm not sure if they'll take to it. Also read about birds choking on them... xD

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Vegan here :)

Broccoli and kale are good sources of calcium for birds, I also keep a cuttlebone in his cage. Also plenty of natural, unfiltered sunlight if the weather permits aids with the vit D absorption, some of us use avian UVB lights during the winter.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Yeah eggs and cuttlebone aren't vegan but my bird won't bear the brunt of my lifestyle choices, so if a cuttlebone, seashells or some egg is beneficial for my pet I will provide it for him.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I EGGREE Tequilagirl!

That was awful, won't happen again I promise ;)

Seriously, Murray can have whatever she needs, hence the chicken treat! She also has a cuttlebone and - a mineral block. It's not a problem - I did have a cat Slugabed ;) I just thought I could learn a little about nutrition and find out what other people do :)

·
Registered
243 Posts
I'm vegan. However, like you, I don't want my pets to suffer because of my lifestyle choices. Unlike me, most of my pets still need to eat animal products. Rocky gets eggs, but I make sure they are a true free range. So not the supermarket advertised ones where the chickens still have their beaks clipped and only get 3 minutes of daylight a day, but ones where the chickens get as much daylight as they like (but are still provided with shelter) and are not clipped anywhere. In my opinion, that's relatively vegan as the chickens are not harmed and produce the eggs naturally.

Rocky also gets honey, mostly as a bribe to eat his veggies, but as bees are not harmed in the production of honey (at least not the honey I buy!) I have no issues feeding it to him.

I don't feed him actual chicken though, because I am 100% against the industry and the way they are treated there. He can get plenty of protein from other sources such as beans, and even a good quality pasta. :)

P.S. If you are worried about your own calcium sources - most vegan milks (such as soy and almond) are reinforced with extra calcium so that you aren't missing out. :)

Good on you for not wanting to force your lifestyle onto your pets though! :)

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Binca! I also have egg sometimes. A local deli in my area stocks organic eggs right from the farm.

Beans you say? I'm interested! Which beans do you feed? I'm unsure because I've heard mixed messages about legumes and toxicity.

·
Registered
243 Posts
From what I understand they are all relatively safe, but there should be a list on this forum somewhere. :) I have often fed lentils, and recently I bought a dried soup mix with beans and peas, and that has been going down great!

I think the Talk Budgies forum also has a great list of safe and unsafe foods, which is basically the same as what a cockatiel can eat. :)

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Mine love chicken, and that is what they get occasionally. They also love beans, especially red kidney. Eggs too, have to be scrambled though, lol.
I am not a vegan or a vegetarian, but I try not to eat too much meat just because I feel so much better when I don't. However, it is hard to get all the nutrients the body needs only from the veggies. So I do eat some chicken, fish, and occasionally beef. I also give my birds cuttlebone, which they frequently chomp on, but they also get vitamin D in pellets and I have the UVB lamp too.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Pets definitely have much different needs than us in regards to diet. Eggs are an excellent choice for birds.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Oh thanks for all the advice guys! :D I'm learning so much from this forum. I have a similar setup Eduardo - and I will try red kidney beans!

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Quick question if anybody is still looking - are canned kidney beans alright? To be honest, I've never seen them stocked fresh anywhere...

·
Registered
243 Posts
I think the problem with canned is that they have sodium added or something. I think fresh is meant to be better. I'm not sure where you live, but in Australia, dried beans can be found in any supermarket. :)

·
Registered
301 Posts
I gave up meat last November. Over the years i became uncomfortable eating it anymore. It messed with my head & as i ate it, well not good thoughts. Tried switching to seafood. Didn't work. I do eat eggs & dairy. I'm still trying to figure out my own diet. We have a mixed marriage now. My husband will never go vegitarian.

Back on topic

I have a question about cuttlebones. I know I've seen real ones in the pet store. Are all of them real or are they man-made? How are real ones collected or harvested? Are they a byproduct of fishing? (Like chicken bones) Or do they just take the bone & toss the rest?

What i hope, but know it's unlikely, is that they are collected from already dead animals.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
I have a question about cuttlebones. I know I've seen real ones in the pet store. Are all of them real or are they man-made? How are real ones collected or harvested? Are they a byproduct of fishing? (Like chicken bones) Or do they just take the bone & toss the rest?

What i hope, but know it's unlikely, is that they are collected from already dead animals.
Cuttlebone isn't exactly a bone, but either way cuttlefish aren't harvested for it, it's just a byproduct as they are caught for food. Some cuttlebones have washed up on the beaches where they normally live. As far as I know they are unprocessed and only boiled and they are ready to be used, unless they are flavoured or dyed.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts