Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. It's been a long time since I have been on here. Currently I have a female tiel who seems to be having problems with laying eggs. She was seen 3 weeks ago by the vet. The vet actually assisted her in laying that egg. She was then given a lupron shot and now three weeks later she has another egg. She used to lay eggs rather regularly but never had issues. I should mention her cage mate died shortly before this started. She shared the cage with another female. I know she gets a lot of calcium because she is constantly eating her cuddle bone. She's also offered a quality pellet diet that she seems to be eating. I brought her in again this morning and she is staying overnight. Last I talked to the vet she hadn't laid the egg yet. She will call me again in a couple hours. But the only thing I could think of is possibly lack of vitamin D absorption?? I was considering getting this:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000HHQ94C/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_awd_pqMXwbT1FFFJD

And a UV bulb to go with it. In hopes that this may help. I cannot afford to spend 300+ dollars every month or whatever. I am currently trying to get out of debt. I am also considering the implant. The doc wants to try another lupron shot but that's another 80 bucks and may not work. So the real reason I am here is for recommendations for UV bulbs that are good for this. I've searched and found a couple. But they have some iffy reviews. I would also love to hear others experiences with their female tiels and egg laying problems. Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Some vegetables like kale and broccoli are rich in vitamins and minerals needed by egg laying hens. If this isn't something you're feeding her already.

For UV lighting, I use the featherbrite bulb. I noticed a difference with my Lutino immediately who kept laying shell-less eggs. A combination of diet and uv seemed to do the trick.

Tried a number of different timing configurations over the years, it seems like 7 hours of light keeps the flock from being too rambunctious. But they will still breed even in those conditions. There doesn't seem to be a magic number, just adjust it and see what works best for you.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for responding! Is this the bulb you are referring to?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01A5VQMVE/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_awd_bYNXwb00EAZV2

Is this a good/bad price? Where do you get yours? I know nothing about this. I just know I cannot keep bringing her to the vet. It's getting expensive and I am missing work. Plus the vet is an hr away. So I will try anything. Thank you!

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Thank you for responding! Is this the bulb you are referring to?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01A5VQMVE/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_awd_bYNXwb00EAZV2

Is this a good/bad price? Where do you get yours? I know nothing about this. I just know I cannot keep bringing her to the vet. It's getting expensive and I am missing work. Plus the vet is an hr away. So I will try anything. Thank you!

That's it and the price is right. During the warmer months its reasonable to take her cage with you outside instead of using the light. Just don't leave her out there alone.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well so much for that idea. She died during her procedure today. They put her under some anesthesia to remove the egg. I also asked for the implant since she would already be under. She didn't make it out. They got it all done and then she declined. She couldn't be revived. My last tiel. Her cage mate just died in January too. It's been almost a decade since I got my first tiel, now I have none. This year has proven to be pretty sucky so far.

·
Registered
786 Posts
I am so sorry for your losses. RIP little ones- fly free and high.

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
Oh no :frown: I'm so sorry for your loss :( *hugs*

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
I'm sorry for your loss. In 18 years of owning cockatiels I have only ever lost two adults. The one was my first as a teenager, inexplicably he was found at the bottom of his cage I don't remember much more than that. The other was a few years back, I owned her for less than a month and she came down with a bacterial infection and died before the vet could help. I can't imagine how you feel now.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you all. Yes, it was very unexpected. I knew there were risks with anesthesia but I honestly didn't expect her to die. It definitely hit me hard. I still have to clean out her cage. I don't think I'm ready for that yet. It's going to be real strange not having a tiel anymore. :-(

·
Registered
878 Posts
So sorry for your losses :(

1 - 10 of 10 Posts