Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It looks like I'm going to have to board my 26 year old cockatiel.
The proprietor of the boarding place didn't "like" my cage and said she could sell me another cage. However, I already have two cages, and wasn't interested in buying another $60 cage for a 26 yr. old bird.
I told my neighbor about my dilemma and a few days later she told me her friend had an "extra" cage, but it was dirty.
Well, it was.
I hosed it down w/ water and left it outside for 24 hrs. to "air out". Now, I'm wiping w/ Clorox.
Is there anything else I should do?

·
Registered
350 Posts
Make sure that the clorox is COMPLETELY gone before putting your bird in there; it is SO easy to accidentally poison our birds and kill them. They have a very low tolerance to cleaning chemicals, many household chemicals, foods, and even some types of wood!

You'll also want to try to make the new cage seem as much like the old cage as possible; transfer his toys and perches to the new cage. Changing cages can be a bit of a transition for birds, and boarding can be stressful for them (they're being taken away from their flock and put into a new strange environment with a bunch of strangers; scary!). To give him a new cage AND board him is just a lot of stress for a bird to deal with. The easiest way to remove that stress is to make the new cage as familiar as possible. You might also want to keep him in that cage around the home for awhile so that he can get used to the new cage without having to be in a new environment.

Also, I'd read your original post, and I do NOT think that you should board your bird at that pet store you mentioned. They do not seem AT ALL trustworthy. Try Googling places around you to see if you can find other places to board. Or maybe call up your avian vet, a trusted vet is likely to know a trustworthy place to keep your bird, or might even be able to board him themselves!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Also, I'd read your original post, and I do NOT think that you should board your bird at that pet store you mentioned. They do not seem AT ALL trustworthy. Try Googling places around you to see if you can find other places to board. Or maybe call up your avian vet, a trusted vet is likely to know a trustworthy place to keep your bird, or might even be able to board him themselves!
============

I called a well-known avian vet in my area. To board my bird requires the following:
$500 worth of tests & blood-work
$29/day to board

So, that would be almost $900 to board my bird for 2 weeks.
That is outrageous, IMHO.
It's costing me $910 to board my dog for 2 weeks, but they DO stuff w/ the dogs (playtime, etc.)
My bird sleeps a lot during the day. To pay a hospital $29/day for bird boarding is not something I'm interested in.
The pet store only charges $14/day. But then again, there's the "trust" issue ...
I'll just keep looking around.
THANKS!

·
Registered
885 Posts
Do you have any family or friends that could take him for two weeks?

Honestly I would steer very clear of any place that want to put your bird in a different cage just because they don't "like" your current one. Especially if they know that your bird is 26 years old. Their job as carers is to keep your bird as comfortable and happy as humanly possible while you are away from him. You're already putting the bird in a strange place for two weeks and you won't be there, but they want to add to the stress by putting the bird in an entirely different cage as well? No thank you.

Don't change his cage if you don't absolutely need to. At his age I think consistency is the best thing for him and changing his cage could really stress him out. That, and you don't want to risk him getting sick from any toxins or nasties in the new cage.

I hope you can find something soon! I'm sorry it's so difficult =/

1 - 5 of 5 Posts