Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
It is winter here in Australia and I usually use an infrared lamp at night for my boy. I have been using it for years. I usually use a 40W lamp but I dropped it last week so I bought a new lamp on eBay and although I bought the right one they sent me a 100W one. The largest distance where I could put it while trying to find a new lamp is about 55 inches, and the cage would be covered too. Is it dangerous?
Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Some heat lamps are coated with Teflon to make them shatter resistant. When on, the bulbs give off fumes deadly to birds. You can enter the search terms "teflon coated bulb deadly" for info on this. This probably just adds another concern for you in addition to asking if 55 inches is ok for the 100w bulb (sorry I don't know.)

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for your reply.
The brand I have (URS) should be safe as I used it for years.
It is not even very cold at night any more, but I used it the first night and he slept well. I just had to point elsewhere instead of pointing at the cage like with the smaller one (which was not really next to the cage either). I put the new one at a safe distance.
For heating it is fine, but I will have to get a small one too in case he is sick because I cannot put this one very close to his cage.
As the cage is covered up at night, it is not dangerous for his eyes either.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts