Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a cockatiel that's around 9 months old now, she's skittish and tends to fly off anything she's on at the smallest things despite having been clipped when I got her but they've started to grow back recently. Just now she flew off my shoulder out of nowhere and ended up falling into a mop bucket that had some dirty water on it, I was able to save her before her head fell under but she got soaked so I tried to clean it off with a spray bottle that had normal water in it but I don't know if I should take her to the vet since I'm tight on cash as well atm.

·
Registered
14 Posts
ok, so you clipped her wings right? clipping wings can be good or bad because if some flight feathers grow in she can fly away. You could teach her recall so you don't have to go to the vet. recall is basically teaching her to get on your hand when you call her name. about the mop water, it depends on what has happened to her. if she is only dirty, you can just bathe her. if she can't see or something like that, you should probably go to the vet.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok, so you clipped her wings right? clipping wings can be good or bad because if some flight feathers grow in she can fly away. You could teach her recall so you don't have to go to the vet. recall is basically teaching her to get on your hand when you call her name. about the mop water, it depends on what has happened to her. if she is only dirty, you can just bathe her. if she can't see or something like that, you should probably go to the vet.
I haven't clipped them yet because I want to train her to fly do she doesn't hurt herself at least if she flies off. As for her now she seems better after a rinse and after drying off she went back to singing like her usual self. If you don't mind me asking, do you know any good videos on how to train her to fly, including recall? I'd like to start training her very soon as to prevent more incidents like this

·
Registered
14 Posts
Yesss! There is this great bird youtuber that teaches everything!!! Her channel is live laugh birds!
and for the mop water, birds get dirty in the wild everyday so i dont think she will be hurt

·
Registered
10,914 Posts
You can fill a bowl with clean water at a comfortable temperature, and hold her in it so that she's immersed up to her neck. You can gently swish her around a little bit if you want to. This will be more effective than spraying for getting rid of the gunk from the mop water. She probably won't like it, but she'll be clean. You should definitely do this if there were any kind of cleaning chemicals in the water, and it's optional if it was just dirty water.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts