Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help! After 3 days of letting my tiel Bella stay at the vets so they could treat her condition, 'canker', we decided to take her home and continue the treatment ourselves for another two days.

I've just given her a second dose of medication for the day, but I'm really worried she's aspirated it because when I squirted a good amount in the side of her mouth she started doing a kind of wheezing/hiccuping noise. Afterwards, she shook her head and spat a lot of the medication out. It only lasted for a couple of minutes and we didn't even get the full amount in, but I'm very worried she could develop aspiration pneumonia from this. Could it just be because my dad (who was holding her in a cloth at the time) had his hand around her throat to keep her still? Does it sound like she properly aspirated?

Right now she's sitting quietly - no beak grinding or anything. I'm quite disappointed as I thought I did a good job of getting it in without it going under her tongue (which I think I've heard is dangerous).

Any answers are appreciated

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you, I'm glad someone thinks so! I'm just very anxious because I've heard that aspiration pneumonia is very serious and can often result from such things :frown:

·
Registered
25 Posts
My birds don't like taking their medication when I have to give it to them they shake their heads and it goes everywhere. My vet has never warned me about the condition you mentioned but I wouldn't hold them around the neck as this would make it difficult to swallow. I wrap mine in a towel and just put the syringe near their break, they tend to inadvertently want to bite the syringe which is when l release the medication, once it's gone release them as quickly as possible so they can swallow properly. Mine makes a little gurgling sound for a few seconds after release then it's gone and everything is back to normal.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts