Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought two cockatiels back in September for my 8 yr old daughter. Never had any pet before. Lately, I have noticed, the cockatiels have been scratching a lot under their wings and the back. I did some research and learned they might have gotten an infection.
Questions:

1. Do you have to bath cockatiels ? How?
2. What are best practices for feeding and healthcare? My daughter placed two small cups ( water and seeds) inside the cage. But I noticed these cups get dirty a lot with the birds poop.
3. Any website or video you can recommend to a girl for teaching how to care for cockatiels. I work a lot and need to rely on her to care for the birds.
Thanks, Rey

·
Registered
19 Posts
I bought two cockatiels back in September for my 8 yr old daughter. Never had any pet before. Lately, I have noticed, the cockatiels have been scratching a lot under their wings and the back. I did some research and learned they might have gotten an infection.
Questions:

1. Do you have to bath cockatiels ? How?
2. What are best practices for feeding and healthcare? My daughter placed two small cups ( water and seeds) inside the cage. But I noticed these cups get dirty a lot with the birds poop.
3. Any website or video you can recommend to a girl for teaching how to care for cockatiels. I work a lot and need to rely on her to care for the birds.
Thanks, Rey
I would have you and your daughter watch a bunch of YouTube videos to learn about cockatiels. Get her some books and help her read through them so you both can learn a little bit more about these birds. I think it is going to be a great mommy/daughter activity to learn all you can about your new pets. :)

1. Put a dish of room temperature water in the cage. I would use a long Tupperware type dish so they can fit their tailfeathers in.
2. I feed mine pellets and lafaber's fruit/seed balls. Make sure you don't have a perk sitting over your food and water dishes.
3. see above

Good luck!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would have you and your daughter watch a bunch of YouTube videos to learn about cockatiels. Get her some books and help her read through them so you both can learn a little bit more about these birds. I think it is going to be a great mommy/daughter activity to learn all you can about your new pets. :)

1. Put a dish of room temperature water in the cage. I would use a long Tupperware type dish so they can fit their tailfeathers in.
2. I feed mine pellets and lafaber's fruit/seed balls. Make sure you don't have a perk sitting over your food and water dishes.
3. see above

Good luck!
Thank you so much... I would share your advice with daughter. I scheduled an appointment with the avian vet for Tuesday. Again, thanks

1 - 3 of 3 Posts