Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
2,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know what type of spiders bite can kill parrots? My Aunties conure was bit by a spider and died the next day I live in Ireland and today I saw a little spider hanging from the ceiling on web and I immediately took it out and put it outside because I was worried it might bite Rocko.

Also Rocko has been smelling bad lately do you know that smell of wet bird he smells like that only hes not wet anyone know what it is.

·
Premium Member
6,217 Posts
Hmm... well the only spiders in Ireland I can name off the top of my head that may poison a bird are the lace web, giant house and false widow spider. I don't know if they are poisonous to people, but those are the only few I can think of now that could possibly kill a small bird, I'm not confident on that though

·
Banned
2,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmm... well the only spiders in Ireland I can name off the top of my head that may poison a bird are the lace web, giant house and false widow spider. I don't know if they are poisonous to people, but those are the only few I can think of now that could possibly kill a small bird, I'm not confident on that though
Any ideas why Rocko is smelling

·
Banned
2,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just googled the lace web spider and it looks like the one that I put outside but a baby one and I live next door to my Aunt so it could have got into our house and had babies thats crazy a spider bite can kill your precious baby I wouldnt trade Rocko for anything.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Hey Brandon! All spiders are venomous to some degree, and since cockatiels are quite small I imagine most would cause complications for the bird. The question is: which have mouths strong enough to pierce the skin in the first place? Not that many of our UK/Ireland ones do. I live in England and I sometimes get house spiders and woodlouse spiders (whopping one in my bath last night) both of which can pierce skin, but...

...spiders in the UK and Ireland are pretty non-aggressive and bites are really, really rare. I'm so sorry about your Aunt's conure. That must have been really unlucky :( You definitely did the right thing by putting the spider out, but I wouldn't lose sleep worrying!

·
Banned
2,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey Brandon! All spiders are venomous to some degree, and since cockatiels are quite small I imagine most would cause complications for the bird. The question is: which have mouths strong enough to pierce the skin in the first place? Not that many of our UK/Ireland ones do. I live in England and I sometimes get house spiders and woodlouse spiders (whopping one in my bath last night) both of which can pierce skin, but...

...spiders in the UK and Ireland are pretty non-aggressive and bites are really, really rare. I'm so sorry about your Aunt's conure. That must have been really unlucky :( You definitely did the right thing by putting the spider out, but I wouldn't lose sleep worrying!
Thanks Rocko sleeps on his new natural wood perch at the top of his cage it was one of his Birthday presents I never really see spiders in my house and today was the first time I saw one in my bedroom also just to let you all know Rockos bad moult is almost over yay!

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
In New Zealand we have spiders called white tails, which can kill people with their bite, but it's more the bacteria that they carry that can be fatal. I found one next to my pillow a few months ago and after that I didn't sleep properly for like a week! :eek: Ugh. Luckily I didn't find it in the 'tiels cage though.

·
Registered
648 Posts

Gotta disagree with you here, I don't think putting it outside was a great idea. Until you identify the spider you never want to get rid of it. I live in australia and we have some pretty nasty spiders, you definitely need to know what you're dealing with before you get rid of it. Next time put it in a jar or something until you know what it is, if worse came to worse you could take the spider to the vet with you so they knew what spider it was.

·
Banned
2,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Gotta disagree with you here, I don't think putting it outside was a great idea. Until you identify the spider you never want to get rid of it. I live in australia and we have some pretty nasty spiders, you definitely need to know what you're dealing with before you get rid of it. Next time put it in a jar or something until you know what it is, if worse came to worse you could take the spider to the vet with you so they knew what spider it was.
Well ireland dosent have spiders which Australia has

·
Banned
2,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
In New Zealand we have spiders called white tails, which can kill people with their bite, but it's more the bacteria that they carry that can be fatal. I found one next to my pillow a few months ago and after that I didn't sleep properly for like a week! :eek: Ugh. Luckily I didn't find it in the 'tiels cage though.
Wow i wouldnt sleep either knowing that i could die from a bite id be more scared living in Australia the spiders over there lol imaging sitting in your garden or something and getting bit by a tarantula or something.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Wow i wouldnt sleep either knowing that i could die from a bite id be more scared living in Australia the spiders over there lol imaging sitting in your garden or something and getting bit by a tarantula or something.
The most interesting ones, in my opinion, are the ones you get sometimes over here that are as big as plates. Not even sure how poisonous they are but the size is impressive. We had a few rock up on our kitchen walls.

·
Banned
2,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The most interesting ones, in my opinion, are the ones you get sometimes over here that are as big as plates. Not even sure how poisonous they are but the size is impressive. We had a few rock up on our kitchen walls.
Thats scary lol

·
Registered
761 Posts
Oh yes certainly, if the spider has bitten anyone, but I understood from the question that it hadn't and it was just on the ceiling? I meant he was better putting it out than leaving it in the room. Here on the other side of the world spiders really aren't dangerous and some people might let the odd little critter scurry off. It's a bit different in Aus, I bet! ;)

·
Banned
2,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Oh yes certainly, if the spider has bitten anyone, but I understood from the question that it hadn't and it was just on the ceiling? I meant he was better putting it out than leaving it in the room. Here on the other side of the world spiders really aren't dangerous and some people might let the odd little critter scurry off. It's a bit different in Aus, I bet! ;)
Its not necessary to identify them here but in Australia yeah I would want to

1 - 16 of 16 Posts