Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi everyone, I was out of town for 5-6 days, and when I returned back I see that one of my cockatiels has got an eye infection. She was doing completely fine before I left. I have taken an appointment with a vet but can’t visit before Monday.
Could you guys please have a look at the pictures and suggest what this could be, and if I can do anything in terms of home remedies until I visit the vet.
The eye is covered with a white ish kind of a layer. See between the eyelids.

Attachments

·
Registered
10,899 Posts
I hope that you were able to get her to the vet today. If not, you can try rinsing the eye several times a day with a saline solution (the same type made for human use). But you need to keep the feathers around the eye clean. If they get stiff and crusty, they might prevent her from closing her eye completely which will cause problems with dry eye.

If the vet gives you medicated eyedrops, you will still need to monitor the situation to make sure she can close her eye completely.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the response.. nope I haven’t been able to take her to the vet, as she started laying eggs the very next day. I did not want to disturb her during this time .. as most of the time she is now spending in and around the nest box.
Though I am cleaning her eye with the saline solution and also using ciplox eye drops to not let the eye dry. She wasn’t able opening her eye until Thursday but I see improvement Friday onwards with the eye opening and closing more frequently.
I do want to take her to the vet but at the same time don’t want her to be carrying any eggs and me handling her during this time.. 😐

1 - 4 of 4 Posts