Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm worried for a chick. I don't know what caused it, but a 1 day old chick's wing is a bit bloody. The parents are doing a superb job looking after it, but I'm not sure what to do. Will it heal on its own? The chick is still active and chirping away - I only saw the wound when it was being fed by its mother. There is no blood inside the nest box and I don't think any blood is flowing from the wing either. Please help!

·
Registered
283 Posts
Don't worry. Usually, the parents will 'bite' the chick to see if the chick need more food, sometimes a little bit too rough. Sometimes, you can see red mark around beak for this reason. And if the parent's nails are not clipped. The claw may cause little cuts too. As the chick is fast growing, they will be fine as long as not blood a lot.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Don't worry. Usually, the parents will 'bite' the chick to see if the chick need more food, sometimes a little bit too rough. Sometimes, you can see red mark around beak for this reason. And if the parent's nails are not clipped. The claw may cause little cuts too. As the chick is fast growing, they will be fine as long as not blood a lot.
That is a huge relief. Thank you so much. The wound is not fully covering the wing, only the end, and it's not bleeding. The chick is certainly getting enough food and he's so wobbly too! Is it possible that the parents are overfeeding? I've heard it being fed about 5 times today already and it's not even 2 yet. I also bought aspen today, but after further research, I believe it is not the right kind for nesting. I think it's too thin, which could lead to it being eaten.

·
Registered
283 Posts
That is a huge relief. Thank you so much. The wound is not fully covering the wing, only the end, and it's not bleeding. The chick is certainly getting enough food and he's so wobbly too! Is it possible that the parents are overfeeding? I've heard it being fed about 5 times today already and it's not even 2 yet. I also bought aspen today, but after further research, I believe it is not the right kind for nesting. I think it's too thin, which could lead to it being eaten.
Parents will feed as needed. I will not worry about overfeed. Baby cockatiels are wobbly until a few weeks only.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Parents will feed as needed. I will not worry about overfeed. Baby cockatiels are wobbly until a few weeks only.
I'm really, really sorry to keep asking questions. It's just that, I can't tell whether the father is being too rough. I don't think he knows how to feed the chick either. He sometimes tries to interrupt the mother and feed it for himself, but it doesn't work - I don't believe he knows how to regurgitate. I also can't tell if he's nipping at the chick, or just trying to move it underneath him. (It's still only the chicks wing that is slightly bruised.) Sometimes I look in and he's sitting on the chick and eggs like normal, but sometimes the chick is on its back or scrambling around a bit, while the father 'pecks' at it or tries to get it underneath him. The mother can feed it perfectly and is gentle, but is usually busy sat on the eggs, leaving him to cover the baby. I just can't tell whether anythings wrong. As I'm here typing, the baby is being fed and is actually stronger than I thought a baby cockatiel would be, and chirping away. But since I've never had a chick before, it's hard to tell if there's an issue.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I'm really, really sorry to keep asking questions. It's just that, I can't tell whether the father is being too rough. I don't think he knows how to feed the chick either. He sometimes tries to interrupt the mother and feed it for himself, but it doesn't work - I don't believe he knows how to regurgitate. I also can't tell if he's nipping at the chick, or just trying to move it underneath him. (It's still only the chicks wing that is slightly bruised.) Sometimes I look in and he's sitting on the chick and eggs like normal, but sometimes the chick is on its back or scrambling around a bit, while the father 'pecks' at it or tries to get it underneath him. The mother can feed it perfectly and is gentle, but is usually busy sat on the eggs, leaving him to cover the baby. I just can't tell whether anythings wrong. As I'm here typing, the baby is being fed and is actually stronger than I thought a baby cockatiel would be, and chirping away. But since I've never had a chick before, it's hard to tell if there's an issue.
I will not worry about the father's behavior. As parents are both very eager to feed babies, they do sometimes compete each other for feeding, especially, when there is less chicks to feed. As far as I can read from what you said, both of them are good parent and taking care of chicks and eggs.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I will not worry about the father's behavior. As parents are both very eager to feed babies, they do sometimes compete each other for feeding, especially, when there is less chicks to feed. As far as I can read from what you said, both of them are good parent and taking care of chicks and eggs.
Thanks so much for the reassurance. The chick is a bit quieter this morning, but just as active and looking bigger. He's currently being fed. The parents love to huddle the little one between them, and he sometimes pokes his head out. Cute! No other hatches yet, but I'm going to leave the rest of the eggs in the nest box until the end of the week. I also managed to get the aspen bedding in yesterday and it's working a treat. They still aren't eating their greens though. I've been putting in peas, broccoli, carrots, spinach etc, but they're not eating it. The seed is still what they eat the most. If I have any other queries, I'll let you know.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I also have a new hatchling cockatiel. Mom and dad are doing great taking care of their little bird. the dad is really attentive and seems to be a better caretaker than the mom, but I had read some place that sometimes the father takes a more active role. I was a little concerned also about the baby being overfed, he's looking quite chunky and his belly/bottom sort of hits the floor when he's trying to run. It's their only chick. It was their first brood and the only egg that was viable. the other eggs did not have chicks in them. he's about 3 weeks old now, weighs 83 grams and has a lot of feathers coming in. should I be concerned with his weight?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts