Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my female tiel has been laying clutches after clutches. I'm not sure what to do and she won't stop trying to mate with one of my males. it seems like the obvious is "separate them" but I simply can't. they refuse to do anything without one another but she sits on her eggs for weeks, abandons them after nothing comes out, and proceeds to lay more after trying to mate. pls help !! is there any way to discourage egg laying?

·
Registered
527 Posts
Do you have a nesting box or anything else that she's laying them in. If so, I would remove that right away. Decrease the amount of lighting they get so they think it is winter and not spring. Change the cage around, remove any type of hut, tent, box, or any other item that increases egg laying. Avoid giving soft foods and fatty foods to them right now as it triggers nesting. I hope that helps! I had a similar but different issue. Mine was just a female on her own that wouldn't stop laying eggs. As soon as I had put a male with her, she stopped and has now had three successful clutches with him so far. It could be that the female is too young to know what she should be doing. Do you know how old she is? Has she ever had a successful clutch before?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Do you have a nesting box or anything else that she's laying them in. If so, I would remove that right away. Decrease the amount of lighting they get so they think it is winter and not spring. Change the cage around, remove any type of hut, tent, box, or any other item that increases egg laying. Avoid giving soft foods and fatty foods to them right now as it triggers nesting. I hope that helps! I had a similar but different issue. Mine was just a female on her own that wouldn't stop laying eggs. As soon as I had put a male with her, she stopped and has now had three successful clutches with him so far. It could be that the female is too young to know what she should be doing. Do you know how old she is? Has she ever had a successful clutch before?
Although we did not want the eggs to hatch, they ended up never hatching anyway. I am pretty sure she is around 3 years old. We also have this type of area in the room above the closet which she ends up flying to once we take away the boxes and everything and she has laid eggs there before. we tried boxing it off but it makes her depressed since it is also her favorite place to play. ty for your help btw. I'll try moving stuff around and changing the diet

1 - 7 of 7 Posts