Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys! Having been reading these posts and seeing pictures of other bird's cages, I decided that Kirby's cage is too small. It's the cage that I adopted him in, and I previously didn't want to change his cage because I figured that a new home and a new cage was just too much stress all at once. However, he's been living here for two months now, and he seems to have completely adjusted to his new life, so I figured that it might be time to upgrade his cage. What I wanted to ask about the cage was what the best way to reintroduce them to a new cage is? Also, about what size is BEST for a tiel cage? I've attached a picture of his current cage. The new cage will have to fit in that area (the microwave cart can be moved to make space for a freestanding cage). My cage preferences is that it's square, not round, so that the bird has corners to hide and sleep in, that it's not so big that I can't transport it in my Buick Rendevous, that it's about the size of his current cage + the microwave stand, and that it goes up high enough that Kirby isn't close enough to the floor to be harassed by my dogs.

I also wanted to ask about a playgym. I had two questions, actually. The first is that, because I work at the bird rescue, I'm pretty much allowed to take any item that was donated that is not being used (we get so many donations we can't possibly use everything, so bird owners are allowed to take what they need so long as the item isn't in use). I could get a playgym that's there for free, but the box says that it's for budgies. Would this be way too small for Kirby, or might it work out? Because if it isn't too small, I'd rather just take that than go out and pay 20 bucks for one at Petco, though if the budgie gym is too small then I don't mind.

The other question about playgyms is how can I encourage my bird to actually play with it? If the budgie gym doesn't work out, then that means that I'll have to spend 20 bucks (which to me is not a LOT but still quite a bit as I'm a high school student and unemployed) on a gym. Here's the one I had in mind:
http://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcostore/petco-premium-3-in-1-playground-for-birds
The back of the box states that the size is right for cockatiels, so Kirby would fit on this. How can you encourage them to play on the gyms rather than just sitting on them?

PS, I've also included a photo of my dogs in front of Kirby's cage so you can see how big they are.

Attachments

·
Registered
422 Posts
Does kirby play with toys? Take some of the toys he plays with and hang them on the gym you can try playing with the toys yourself and when he sees you playing with he will play to. I had this play gym just when you are putting the pieces together you may want to use some glue mine kept comming apart

linda

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Unfortunately I can't just hang toys from his gym. I'll attach a picture of it.

And he actually doesn't play with toys. In fact, he seems extremely inactive compared to what I'm reading about other people's birds. He just sits around either staring at the wall or preening. I was just about to post a thread asking about his inactivity, actually. That's one of the reasons I wanted to get him a proper gym; maybe he is inactive because he's bored? He doesn't play with the toys in his cage, though...

Attachments

·
Registered
507 Posts
The A&E or HQ Flight cages are reasonably priced, good quality, and large. They will not fit in a vehicle - however, you could keep that small cage for travel.

http://www.wayfair.com/AandE-Cage-Co.-Bird-Cage-13221-AEC1048.html

http://www.birdscomfort.com/flight_bird_cage.html

The Prevue F040 is another bargain option, but it is quite low to the ground, so it might not be suitable with your dogs.

http://www.amazon.com/Prevue-Products-Wrought-F040-31-Inch/dp/B00176F5L0

I would pass on that play gym from Petco. Put that money towards some hardware and scrap wood to make your own.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Unfortunately I can't just hang toys from his gym. I'll attach a picture of it.

And he actually doesn't play with toys. In fact, he seems extremely inactive compared to what I'm reading about other people's birds. He just sits around either staring at the wall or preening. I was just about to post a thread asking about his inactivity, actually. That's one of the reasons I wanted to get him a proper gym; maybe he is inactive because he's bored? He doesn't play with the toys in his cage, though...
Playing with toys is not really something that comes naturally to them. Most cockatiels will have to be shown how to play - as the flock leader, you will need to lead the way. Pick up the toy, flip it around, pick off small bits of the wood and play with it a bit before handing it to him, generally act really excited and interested... you want to make him curious about what you're doing :)

Make sure the toys you're picking are cockatiel appropriate. Lots of the stuff sold in pet stores is just too hard of wood, difficult, or not enticing enough for them to try on their own.

My guys LOVE balsa. They also like yucca, vine, cork, palm, raffia, and other crunchy, natural materials. I buy most of my toys from the Canadian vendor Things for Wings. Toys like this are what my guys love most. They would destroy that in a day or two :) Another great toy store is I Got a Woody - I know my tiels would go bananas for this toy.

Here is baby Miles showing off the work he did on a Things for Wings toy (Tookie's Corky Toy). I bought them multiples of this toy because they love it so much :)

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Today I bought Kirby a new playgym from Petco, and he likes it! It's quite the mental and physical stimulation trying to figure out how to get from the bottom to the top and vice versa to get the millet spray. Also, I can rearrange the perches and toys so that when he starts to get bored with it I can mix it up and keep things new and challenging for him. The swing doesn't work, though, which is a disappointment, but other than that it's great!

I also talked to Jody today (the founder of Fallen Feathers). I just mentioned that I was thinking of upgrading Kirby's cage and she immediately offered to give me my pick of a cage from Fallen Feathers for free, which is a pretty good deal :). There were also some of the flight cages you guys mentioned there, so I might get one of those. The only problem is our space budget, so I'm going to measure the current cage + the microwave stand and measure exactly how much space my parents are willing to donate, and then from there use those as guidelines for picking out his new cage. The old one I can use as a cage for when he has to stay overnight at Fallen Feathers, or it might make a good outside cage for when we're spending hours in the swimming pool (so he won't be all alone). Jody also readily agreed to help convince my parents to upgrade to the bigger cage.

Also...this is my 100th post!!!! Woohoo!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts