Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Charlie has been home for two days now and s/he seems to be adjusting nicely, I was a little worried about him he hasn't eaten much seed yet but he has been drinking I have been weighing him and keeping an eye on it, I had a problem with Ollie regressing when I brought him home and had to supplement for a few days so I am well aware of what to do for Charlie if the need arises, still can't get a good read if he is a male or female, I am just saying male for now instead of it :D I have a 50/50 shot right this is my 3rd baby female and male previously and Charlie is acting more like Ollie did with the different little noises he sounds like a cricket when he chirps sometimes its so cute, so I tend to think he is a male but I am not 100 % sure I think I will just do the dna and get it over with then I will have a definite answer ;) Lutinos are so hard to sex I have read that some have faint bars and wing dots but they can be very faint if you have a light bird and you have to hold them up to a strong light I tried that and there was nothing there its just clear so that was no help to me :p I will keep you all posted :)

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
Awww...you're a good mommy- I say get the test done if you aren't sure- you'll feel better. I'm glad he's settled in nicely- I'm sure he'll realize what a nice forever home he has!

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
If you can find out the parents it would be easy to tell. If neither parent is lutino the Charlie is female, if just the mum is then he would also be female, and if the dad is also or is carrying the gene (the breeder may know this from history..) it would be 50/50. :p

·
Registered
5,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you can find out the parents it would be easy to tell. If neither parent is lutino the Charlie is female, if just the mum is then he would also be female, and if the dad is also or is carrying the gene (the breeder may know this from history..) it would be 50/50. :p
I am not a 100% positive but I think neither parents are lutino so that would mean Charlie is a female!! A very vocal one!!! I would be happy with that, Ollie is really discovering his voice right now he is starting to chatter and talk alot more and its getting louder and more often :eek: so I think having one male in the house is enough :D I don't think the breeder would have the history she is very nice and loves her birds and takes care of them well but I am not sure she is great with her mutations and keeping records of things ;) poor Ollie is going to have a harem of females :p

·
Registered
5,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Its's been a few days now and I almost positive my beautiful Charlie is a female although she has made some different noises and acts more like Ollie did when he was little I heard some loud contact calls today :D the other thing that gave it away was the smile on Ollie's face when he heard those contact calls :p he is thinking YAY!!! two females in the house if one doesn't like me maybe the other will ....lol

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
Poor Ollie...might have to girls to deal with! LOL...This by the way would give u an excuse to get another boy..you know...to even it out? lol

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
Hehe, lucky Ollie!! He's going to be such a ladies man running around with two pretty girls chasing him. Unless he's like Bailee...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts