Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Occasionally I have to travel for work where I may be gone for a week or two and in the past a friends would typically come over and take care of my cockatiel, let her out of the cage for awhile etc. But, in about 2 weeks I have to leave again and everyone I know who could potentially watch after her is also unavailable or on vacation. My only option would be to take her with me on the 150 mile road trip and keep her in my hotel room or take her 100 miles to a family member's house to watch her during this time. I really do not feel that boarding is something she would do well with since she is a very nervous bird but I also know travel and being in a new environment can also be stressful especially since she is nesting right now (non fertile eggs). Any other suggestions I may not be thinking of?

·
Registered
183 Posts
I would take her with your family. It's less stressful I think!

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
I traveled cross country with mine and they did fine. I also used to take them to my mother in law's during weekends we spent up there. Birds are very adaptable.

·
Registered
786 Posts
I take my Milo camping and traveling in my RV with me. He does just fine. He has a larger cage just for traveling. He sleeps in the car most of the time, but he also loves to see outside. Either that or take her to your parents house. She will do fine either way. :)

·
Registered
184 Posts
Mine loved the 1 week road trip we took. Even when I had to leave him in the room for a while, he still seemed to like it all. He seemed excited about every new thing and loved to see the birds as we drove. I recommend taking him with you (you'll love it too).

I think it helped that I planned the trip for him down to every detail I could think of. I only had his small cage but he wasn't in it that much. I let him out while we were in the car (he liked that) and I only locked him up in the room when I had to leave for business.

The only problem I can think of is that he didn't seem to want to eat on his own when in the car. I basically had to hand feed him. Don't know why.

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
I've travelled with my 'tiels many a time, and they do surprisingly well. If it were me I would definitely be taking her with me. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts