Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question.

There is a thing that Peaches has been doing lately which has me guessing.

When he is strolling around on the floor. He will suddenly brace himself, chirp, and then hop.

Then he goes back to where he started from and does the same thing towards a different direction.

Stand still, brace legs, chirp, & the hop. He will do this for six to ten times and then he will walk away like he accomplished something.

It's the oddest little thing, Like he is practicing for a Track&Field event.

Does anybody know what this is about?

Kathie

·
Registered
5,102 Posts
I had the same question come up a while ago. I had a male doing that on a shelf and the top of a crate. Bea has seen it in wild birds. It's part of the courting ritual! Cool Huh?

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
it's a male tiels mating "dance"

one of my tiels were named "hop A Long" because he hoped so much He'd Hop over top of nest boxes, he'd hop in a cage, he'd hop on top of a cage it didn't matter, and not far after the hop was the "mating song" was sure to follow.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Courting Ritual?!?! :eek:

The little routine is kind of cool. Actually, it's pretty cute. With that chirp, it's like he is trying a martial arts move.

Well, I guess my husband and I will need to keep a close eye on things. ;) No fooling around in our household.

Thanks so much for the info. :)

·
Registered
11,093 Posts
Both my 2 male 'tiels do exactly the same thing.

They'll do it when they're out, they'll do it while they're in their cage on the bottom, but mine do it for ages, they think they're big boys, showing off.

Chirp > Hop > Chirp > Hop etc etc.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.