Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've had my 'tiel for over a year now. When I first got him, he was not tame. I'm guessing his previous owners didn't treat him well :( . He used to scream at me, bite me HARD, and when I opened his cage or gave him his food, he'd start screaming and hissing. Over this last year, he got more friendly and tame but he still doesn't like being held and when I get close to his cage he still hisses at me. He's improved his behaviour very well this last year. But sadly he still bites and hisses.

So I've been wondering how'd it be if I got another bird that'd be tamed. Would Birdy(my 'tiel) bond a little more with me seeing that the tamed 'tiel bonds very well with me? Or would it be the complete opposite and bond more with the other 'tiel? I'm thinking to get another bird in maybe a couple months or maybe in a year. My 'tiel( I think) is a male but I'm not positive. If I did get another cockatiel should I get a female or male? I do not want mating because I am not able to handle that right now. I also want them to be in the same cage.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
301 Posts
if you don't want mating then I suggest doing some reaserch to find out what gender your bird is. what have you tried in order to get birdie to bond with you?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When I first got him I sat next to his change, then sitting & talking to him next to his cage, then putting my hand in his cage, and then putting my hand in his cage with food. After doing that I just took him out of his cage and let him get used to me.

·
Registered
412 Posts
my male tiel does the same thing.ive had him for over 6months now(he is an adult one)...
when i saw him in the pet store he looked happy but when i got him home in a huge aviary and good food,veggies,millets and toys...he always kind of hated me.i was always sweet to him,talked to him,sang etc but he hates me.literally gives me a mean look when i open the cage door.
now i wonder if he wouldve been happier in the petstore(obviously noway he;d be happier there)
i got him a female ,who he would just mate with and not cuddle and preen.after which i felt they both seemed lonely and got two more tiels.now he seems to be happy with the new female..but he still isnt close to me.i dont understand.i have an aviary which is 10 feet long and 5 feet in height and 6 feet in width.it has a few toys and lots of good quality seed mixes and veggies and fruits.i occasionally give them the honey sticks which they love.however,due to his attitude towards me,all the other tiels are even more scared of me.although the first female isnt scared anymore and does let me pick her up on a perch.but its just him...my very first tiel....who didnt give me much of good memories.although now i regret not having brought a hand tamed tiel instead.but i love all my birds.even if he hates me ....i love him dearly.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts