Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone
I'm new to the cokatiel world (actually the caged bird world) and wondering about diet. I've read that they like kale and all sorts of fresh veggies and fruits but my little guy has no interest in that stuff. As a treat, he does like multi-grain cereal flakes and unsweetened banana chips.

Wondering how I can entice him to indulge in veggies???? ANy ideas?
Thank

·
Registered
77 Posts
Hey I recently got my tiel to eat raw grated carrot. I mixed it with his seed and now he will eat it from my hand. I have also tried kale but as yet he is not interested. He also completely refuses to eat any fruits that I have attempted. He runs away from banana and seems frightened of apple and pear. He at one time did try a grape but alas not after the first try.

Try the grated carrot. I am going to give his peas soon see how that goes and I will update here.
Ed

From my mobile communications network

·
Registered
350 Posts
It may also just take time. If you just adopted the bird, it can take them awhile to adapt to their new home and family, and then from there try new things. I've had Kirby for four months now, and he has shown some curiosity at the food on my plate, but hasn't eaten any until about a week ago; I was eating Kix cereal and he took a special interest, so I took a dry piece out of the box and he demolished it and half of another piece. This, on top of a new hobby of climbing onto my plates while I'm eating <_<, leads me to believe that he's starting to explore the idea of eating my food. Once he decides he likes my food, I can start offering him fruits and veggies by eating them more myself (healthy for the bird, healthy for me! :)). Since you said you were new, I would suggest that you be patient and see if the bird simply needs to adjust. There are some simple things you can do in the meantime, though;
*You can hang leafy greens from his cage, introducing them like toys
*You clicker train him using millet and see if you can trick him into thinking that a fruit/veggie is a treat by rewarding a trick with the clicker and then offering him something healthy instead of millet
*You can shred broccoli tops into his seed

Good luck, from one picky eater's mom to another! :)

·
Registered
77 Posts
Hercules is now eating pear, apple and banana several times per week. He also eats peas. He just loves crusty bread and cheese and onion potato chips. He has this in very small amounts twice per week.

Sent from my InFocus M808 using Tapatalk

1 - 4 of 4 Posts