Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted on a different forum but didn't really get much help so I thought I would try here.
I got a cockatiel almost 2 months ago now and it is no closer to being tame or bonding than it was when I got it. It hisses and bites, and man does it bite hard sometimes, and then just tries to get away. It isn't sociable and I mean that. It doesn't care if someone is with it or not. I don't think it could be any less interested in me if it tried. It sings and chirps every day and when it isn't, it is preening and beak grinding. But then it bangs the cage and screams at me but runs when I approach. I know it's screaming at me because after it screams it turns its head at me to see my reaction, but believe me, it doesn't want attention because that just makes it scream louder. I think it enjoys trying to irritate me, because it loves to scream like that when it hears my voice. It isn't a nice scream. It's this horrid shrill little noise that repeats over and over. I open the cage but it doesn't come out. It chews its perches and toys aggressively and it just seems really angry. It can't be bribed by food or treats because again it isn't interested. It doesn't bathe itself. I have tried everything but all the articles I read and forums I scour say that the bird should want socialization and contact or attention, but this one doesn't. It doesn't play with its toys, only destroys them. It hisses and lunges if it even thinks you are going to put your hands near. Like I said, it bites, and it's like the thing is so angry and hateful. I don't think it's biting as a defensive mechanism, it really just seems to hate everything. I was told this bird was 6 months old. It also has a bit of a malformed left leg but no it doesn't cause the bird any pain or anything, it is a disability from birth. It can climb and fly and everything just fine. It has a big cage, toys, treats...but it acts so horrid and disinterested/distrustful. How do you bond with a bird that doesn't want to give you the time of day? This is my first bird and man it really seems like I got a doozy.
That is a sample of the scream the bird makes, clearly she was aware of me filming so imagine that twice as loud and twice as frequent, and with cage banging.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Also birds like to chew staff, my birds destroyed multiple cewing toys and non chewing toys they just like cewing but be careful what they chew, also if it doesn't want treats from your hand, try and put a treat near his food, maybe he never had it before and he doesn't know what it is, same thing happened with my birds, they were scared of broccoli, because they never saw one before and i put it in or near the food, they started to eat from it and now they love broccoli.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Also birds like to chew staff, my birds destroyed multiple cewing toys and non chewing toys they just like cewing but be careful what they chew, also if it doesn't want treats from your hand, try and put a treat near his food, maybe he never had it before and he doesn't know what it is, same thing happened with my birds, they were scared of broccoli, because they never saw one before and i put it in or near the food, they started to eat from it and now they love broccoli.
I will try. What about the noise? Did you watch the video? Also how can I show the bird I want to bond? He doesn't respond to anything I have tried so far, not really.

·
Registered
29 Posts
A breeder
When i bought my 2 birds, one was from a breeder (female) and one from the petshop (male), same days. The male( from petshop) was more scared at the beginning, also birds from the petshop are untamed, the one from the breeder was not so scared but she was also untamed but she was more used to humans. But now the male is more used to me ( plays with me, eats from my hand and stepps up) and the female that was from the breeder won't eat from my had only if the male eats first.
And i bought them in the same day.
The female kept screaming and biting the cage in the first month, now she is calm but doesn't really interract with me unless the male does it first.
So i am thinking that something might have happened to my bird to make her loose trust or be scared of hands.
So something might have happened to your bird too to meake him so scared and this makes him frustrated and angry.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I will try. What about the noise? Did you watch the video? Also how can I show the bird I want to bond? He doesn't respond to anything I have tried so far, not really.
I would say just let him be, if you want to give him a treat, just hold it between the barrs of the cage and let him come( i waited 4-5 days) i did every step once a week, i let them acomodate for one week, the 2nd week i sat near the cage, then slowly moving closer to the cage the following week, the treats come after that, the 4th week give him treats between the cage bars and then the next week from hand( it might happen after a few days, not immediately)just put treats in the palm of your hand and wait for him to come to you, if he doesn't then try again later. When you get him to eat from your hand the rest comes easyer, move very slowly and talk softly when you put your hands in the cage.
Also for the sounds try this video
maybe it will help

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I would say just let him be, if you want to give him a treat, just hold it between the barrs of the cage and let him come( i waited 4-5 days) i did every step once a week, i let them acomodate for one week, the 2nd week i sat near the cage, then slowly moving closer to the cage the following week, the treats come after that, the 4th week give him treats between the cage bars and then the next week from hand( it might happen after a few days, not immediately)just put treats in the palm of your hand and wait for him to come to you, if he doesn't then try again later. When you get him to eat from your hand the rest comes easyer, move very slowly and talk softly when you put your hands in the cage.
Also for the sounds try this video
maybe it will help
I have had him for 2 months now and he is still the same. He sometimes takes sunflower seeds but he doesn't always eat them, just throws them. He doesn't care much for millet. I am just confused. How am I supposed to tame this bird? Nothing has worked so far. Why is he still so aggressive and distrusting towards my hands? Nothing has happened to him. He is disabled, is that the reason? I tried target training but he just got angry at the stick and kept hissing. Do I have a bird that will never be tame? I thought cockatiels were supposed to be social and friendly, but this bird is kind of horrible.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Keep giving sunflower seeds, but not a lot, even my birds drop the seeds, he is not throwing them, he is just dropping them. Give him a bit more time. It may be difficult for him to feel confident if he is disabled, and maybe he even feels lonely, try take another bird maybe he will change his behaviour.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts