Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone
Until a couple of weeks ago I was under the impression that Peppa was a male then I found an egg in the cage so I guess Peppa is a girl :oops:
After laying 4 eggs over 8 days I thought she had finished and she abandoned them as they were infertile. Well day before yesterday she started laying
again and I have 2 more eggs so far. How long will she keep laying eggs?
I would like to know what type she is
She is approx 12 months old and has just had her first moult too
Bird Beak Pet supply Bird bath Bird food

Hair Skin Eye Kiss Felidae

· Registered
783 Posts
You're welcome! 😊. Okay, so the reason she keeps laying more is because you are removing them. Typically, cockatiels will lay about 4 to 5 eggs in a clutch. Since they want to have a certain amount, they will continue laying until there is always that almost there. I would leave them with her until she loses interest otherwise she could get eggbound, which isn't good.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh ok
The reason I was taking them was because the breeder where she came from told me that was best
I still have the eggs I removed so I will put them back for her
How long before she loses interest do you think?

· Registered
783 Posts
It will usually take about a month. If you distract her often enough and rearrange her cage, it should be quicker hopefully. I've had a cockatiel obsessed with egg laying so I know what you're going through. As long as you don't take them away, you should be fine.

· Registered
2 Posts
Hello everyone
Until a couple of weeks ago I was under the impression that Peppa was a male then I found an egg in the cage so I guess Peppa is a girl :oops:
After laying 4 eggs over 8 days I thought she had finished and she abandoned them as they were infertile. Well day before yesterday she started laying
She is approx 12 months old and has just had her first moult too View attachment 95612
View attachment 95611
I once had a cockatiel named Alice who laid eggs. We left the eggs with her until she tired of them. She actually would rotate the eggs she sat on then she would move them across the cage floor and leave them alone. That's when I would take the eggs out. She had anywhere from 2 to 6 eggs at a time. It wasn't every month but periodically.

· Registered
23 Posts
Hello everyone
She is approx 12 months old and has just had her first moult too View attachment 95612
View attachment 95611
Aww very pretty. Yes female if she's laying eggs but she needs a male to breed with to get babies does she have a mate? Good luck if no male no babies.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts