Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello experts;

I got a visual WF pied male cockatiel from a pet shop some 3 years back and now i have his 2nd generation. I have noticed that his offspring and grand offspring have diluted primary flight coverts and some degree of edging on the flight feather. Otherwise rest of the body plumage seems normal or a little bit diluted.

Please have a look below snaps and share your thoughts. If you have any birds showing similar traits please do share snaps and genetic background. Thanks

Grand Father:A WF pied split cinnamon

Notice the edging on the non pied flights and a general random dilution in feathers. No pearl or split pearl involved in this bird (as per results of two clutches)

Notice diluted primary flight coverts and non pied flights.

Close-up

Notice the primary and secondary tail feathers are diluted

Son: A cinnamon split pied split WF split pearl

This bird is bred from of WF pied split cinnamon (grand father) x Cinnamon Pearl split Pied. Notice the general random dilution in feathers (there are some new dark cinnamon feathers appearing which are enhancing this effect) plus the cheek patch is light orange and not orange red.

Here is a snap of the flights and primary flight coverts. Notice powdery dilution in the coverts and the flights throwing hint of yellow due to dilution.

Another close-up showing dilution, here the yellow is more visible appearing from the feather shafts of flights

Notice the yellow suffusion in the tail feathers. In grand father dilution is visible but yellow was replaced with white as he is WF.

Grand Son: A normal grey split cinnamon possible split pearl possible split WF

This bird is bred from Cinnamon split pied split pearl split WF (Son) x Normal grey hen. It is around 5 months old so it hasn't attained its adult plumage yet but undergoing molt at the moment.

In general the it has an even grey shade (new feathers appearing are darker grey)

Snap of its flights and covert

Close up

Although a confirmed male as it is cooing all the time , being split cinnamon it should reflect plum pupil when flashed but it didnt ?

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
The first two look like the pied genes have somehow altered their feathers. And pied does do that, it creates dirty face cockatiels with dark patches on the face and crest too making sections appear as they would not normally. The last one has no pied genes, or at least I don't see any signs of him having any.

The cheek patch in number two looks like a whiteface split cheek patch which is different from a normal one. The third has a whiteface cheek patch too, it looks uneven, not circular.

Cinnamon splits do not always produce red irises, I have one cinnamon split without them, and one that has them. Female cinnamons often don't have them at all unless other mutations are present.

For best results you should shine a light on their eyes from a flashlight as you take the picture which sounds kind of awkward but it works. If you just look close, you can see those dim red irises in good light.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Darkel777 for your observations & comments... please do share if you have any reference pictures along with genetic info showing such traits.

I am trying to isolate these traits from jingled up mutations. In second generation I retained three males all visual normal grey (one of them is shown in my previous post ) at least two of them show these traits. They haven't attained their adult plumage yet I believe these traits will become more prominent with adulthood.

The most important trait which I guess is unique is "primary flight covert dilution". With so far breeding results we can eliminate two of the involved mutations (i.e. pied & pearl) and the subject bird still retains this trait (primary flight covert dilution).

Following table elaborates :-

Btw can you please guide me how can I tag a specific user in my post ? Thanks :)

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Thanks Darkel777 for your observations & comments... please do share if you have any reference pictures along with genetic info showing such traits.
I haven't been making a habit of taking pictures, but you're the second person to ask me the past couple days. It sounds like a project I'll take up very soon.

I am trying to isolate these traits from jingled up mutations. In second generation I retained three males all visual normal grey (one of them is shown in my previous post ) at least two of them show these traits. They haven't attained their adult plumage yet I believe these traits will become more prominent with adulthood.

The most important trait which I guess is unique is "primary flight covert dilution". With so far breeding results we can eliminate two of the involved mutations (i.e. pied & pearl) and the subject bird still retains this trait (primary flight covert dilution).

Following table elaborates :-

Btw can you please guide me how can I tag a specific user in my post ? Thanks :)
I don't think you can tag a specific user in a post here, but you can send them a PM or try to catch them on the talk parrots facebook page. A lot of our members here also hang out at the American Cockatiel Society facebook page and the International Cockatiel Resource facebook page which are also great communities of very knowledgeable breeders who may be able to help better than I can.

·
Registered
57 Posts
That you guys can remember and keep all that info straight in your head amazes me. Once upon a time I too could remember things but that all seems so far away now....lol

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Looks like DS, and the pied and cinnamon is altering the true mutation from expressing these traits.
Thanks @srtiels :) I am thinking probably cinnamon + another SL mutation crossed over with cinnamon is doing this ? as in my results visual or split cinnamon is always involved & that SL mutation in cinnamon-x combo is probably causing wing covert dilution ?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts