Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our 10yr old tiel, Gary, passed away over the weekend. He escaped through one of the side doors on his cage and our cat hunted him. My husband and I are devastated. We had Gary for almost 6yrs and our cat never batted an eye at him. Now this. I'm riddled with guilt and I'm constantly looking at the cage, waiting for him to whistle to me. I irrationally want to get another bird and my husband is grieving and refuses. I can't blame him. I just miss our little guy so much....

Attachments

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
My heart aches for you and your husband. Accidents happen in the blink of an eye, and although it is natural to want to feel guilt, but you can't do that to yourself.

It is also natural to want to run out and get another to fill the empty space, but give yourself, and your husband, time to grieve and mourn before getting another. Your heart will know when it is time, and you won't think of your desire to get another as irrational, but right.

My heart is with you.

·
Registered
878 Posts
I'm so sorry for your loss :(

·
Registered
161 Posts
Sorry to hear about that JoJo, much as I love my cats, I don't trust them an inch when it comes to the birds.

Give yourself time to grieve before getting another tiel. And seriously don't feel guilty, accidents happen.

·
Registered
786 Posts
I am so sorry for your loss. My JoJo died because of my cat also and I sure know how you feel. Please don't feel guilty as these things happen in an instant. You will know when it's time to get another, and it will feel right.

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
So sorry for your loss. May he rest in peace.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I'm sorry for your loss. Many hugs for you

Don't feel guilty, it was not your fault!

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
I am so sorry to hear that. I can only imagine the pain...

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
unexpected

I am so sorry, too, to hear of your loss. Things can happen so quickly! I think a flying bird is just too much for a cat's hunting instinct to resist. I had a similar instance at my parents' house. My 'tiel slipped out if his cage and went for a flight around the house. Their ancient cat was on the back of the couch and sprang at him as he flew by...thankfully her reflexes were just a bit too slow. But it was not your fault. And I agree, you should give your self a little time before you get another bird. Your husband especially might need it. We all grieve in different ways, and for different lengths of time. After I lost my previous cockatiel to cancer, it took me weeks before I could even look at 'tiels. It was almost 2 months before I finally got Bennie. (Some of that time was due to availability, though. I had to wait until Bennie was old enough to leave the breeder.)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts