Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So last week, April 30th, I bought my cockatiel, Taylor. It wasn’t a, “oh I chose this bird because I liked it” situation. Taylor chose me… he/she (don’t know the gender) waited at the cage door for me to pick ‘em up and let me pet him/her and then DID NOTTTTTT want to go back in the cage. The volunteer told me “I guess they chose you.” And I am 100% sure that he/she did! It was day one and all Taylor wanted to do was try and hang out with me! Every time I put my hand in to train Taylor to step up (keep in mind, Taylor was already hand tamed) He/she WOULD TRY TO CLIMB UP MY ARM TO GET OUT OF THE CAGE! 🥹😂 And also, on day 1 Taylor was showing signs of trust! beak grinding, eating, drinking, stretching wings is it even possible for a cockatiel to choose you or to bond with you in 5 minutes flat?

·
Registered
194 Posts
Yes. They can be a very friendly bird. I thought of my bird as water running backwards when I brought him home because when I would put my hand in the cage he would somehow flow up my arm. I couldn't stop it! Haha

·
Registered
21 Posts
So last week, April 30th, I bought my cockatiel, Taylor. It wasn’t a, “oh I chose this bird because I liked it” situation. Taylor chose me… he/she (don’t know the gender) waited at the cage door for me to pick ‘em up and let me pet him/her and then DID NOTTTTTT want to go back in the cage. The volunteer told me “I guess they chose you.” And I am 100% sure that he/she did! It was day one and all Taylor wanted to do was try and hang out with me! Every time I put my hand in to train Taylor to step up (keep in mind, Taylor was already hand tamed) He/she WOULD TRY TO CLIMB UP MY ARM TO GET OUT OF THE CAGE! 🥹😂 And also, on day 1 Taylor was showing signs of trust! beak grinding, eating, drinking, stretching wings is it even possible for a cockatiel to choose you or to bond with you in 5 minutes flat?
This means that your bird will LOVE u so much! That trust is so rare!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yes, they can take an immediate like or dislike to people. You may remind him of his mommy, the one who hand raised him, so he is comfortable with you.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I believe “Taylor” chose you in 5 minutes flat! Wonderful that he was so friendly when you first saw him. Our Pied cockatiels will be 19 years old in a month, they are brothers, Ollie and Silva! They were a gift, and I hand fed them. Great companions, and huge part of our lives. They travel with us in motorcoach in winter months, been across the country 4 times, and love being on the road.
Wishing you many great years together! You’ve got a friend for many good years! ❤

·
Registered
17 Posts
Of course, I raise birds for 30 years and some just love people. I had a female Latino live 32 years at a normal male go 27. Both Wanted their heads scratched and took food out of my hand from day one. They much rather be flying from a perch to me than being in their cage. Just remember to be careful when your bird is out because they can get on a refrigerator door a cupboard door a bedroom door and become crushed if you don’t keep your eyes open. Also they can fly into glass windows and doors and Hurt themselves. So never feed them out of a cup or glass because they didn’t stick their head down and fall in and drown

1 - 7 of 7 Posts