Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
She's freaking me out.

She was on the top of the couch and all of a sudden she started crouching and stayed like that. I did manage to get a picture (because what else does one do in a moment of panic?)

My inner drama queen went "oh **** she's trying to push an egg out and she's egg bound how the **** did I miss this?"

But some research tells me it may be a hormonal thing.

Vet is unavailable until at least tuesday.

Please explain lmao. I've been in the cockatiel game for 15 years but i've not experienced a bond with a bird as strong as with Zoe.

·
Premium Member
6,217 Posts
Yep. She looks like she wants to get busy. Either with you or something she saw.

That's the hen mating position

·
Registered
761 Posts
How old is Zoe? Just before she laid her eggs in September, Murray began to do a strange crouching posture, closing her eyes and looking, as you said, like an egg might appear any moment. No egg did appear for another few days, but it must have been something to do with the egg growing and moving down the reproductive tract. Perhaps I'm anthropomorphising, but it looked like a cramp or something. It freaked me out at the time and I was so shocked when she just got over it and carried on about her day! Like a typical paranoid owner I was sure she was egg bound :p

I'm not saying Zoe is certainly about to lay an egg - obviously I can't tell if it's the same behaviour from a single photo. She might just as well be displaying mating behaviour, like Cali said. Just offering my own experience.

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
Yep, definitely the hen sexy times pose.

It doesn't necessarily mean she'll lay eggs, though. My girls masturbate fairly regularly no matter what I do to decrease hormones, but I've had no eggs in the 4.5 years they've been with me.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys. My hens have always been paired and the birds i've had 'with me' all the time have always been boys so this is a little new to me LOL. She thoroughly freaked me out.

She's just over 9 months old now. This is the first display i've seen from her so i'll keep an eye on her. Hopefully doesn't become an egg layer lol!

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
Ooh, the young lady's growing up.. ;)

Sophie has been doing this for a few months now (she's roughly two years old, I don't know her exact hatch date). So far no eggs. :)

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Looks like the hen mating position The little girl has definitely grown and is probably getting ready ! Oh its hard when we realise our babies have grown isnt it ? :yes:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts