Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!

I've had my cockatiel for about 1 1/2 years now and about last year in February / March, she started laying eggs.

Sadly, she turned out to be a chronic egglayer. I initially attempted to get her to stop with daylight hour control, changing her cage around, changing her food, etc. Didn't work at all.

Then this year I tried lupron shots. Didn't work at all, either.

Now she's on a suprelorin implant but ... she's already starting the squatting / squeaking again, so I fear she will start laying eggs again. She only had the implant for about 1 1/2 months. I seriously don't know what to do anymore.

It's just not a good life for her to constantly lay eggs and not only does it endanger her, but it's also just not great to sit protectively and hormonal in a corner on the bottom of her cage. I hate to consider it, but I was toying with the idea of giving her to someone who could breed her and possibly just let her go through the whole cycle of breeding > raising chicks in the hopes that it might help.

On the flipside, I adore her to bits and she adores me.

And to make matters even more complicated, I recently found a black spot on her lower left leg / ankle. I already went to the vet with it to her and he said that it looked a bit like a scab, but it also didn't come off at all. He now told me to watch it for 2-3 weeks and then come back. He mentioned that skin cancer in birds is really rare, especially in one so young, but he also couldn't rule it out yet.

I was wondering if perhaps someone here has had something similar happen?

I'm really hoping someone here has some advice and input because I'm running out of ideas on what to do that's best for her.

Attachments

• Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18
    89.3 KB Views: 41

·
Registered
34 Posts
I also have a chronic layer. Recently had a scare with her due to calcium deficiency. Daylight restriction was done in main room. So although I covered the cage when it got dark and took it off after it was light (winter hours here and when she started laying), it wasn't enough. Activity still in room, dim lamp and often the tv, interfered so she kept laying.
She's currently in another room that isn't used, with her son. Her mate is still in the main room. (He really hates being away from her). Thought it best she can't even see him (had separate cages next to each other in previous try). When daylight comes naturally through the window at about 8am, I go in and turn on my new UV lamp. Go in for fresh lunch feeding. Then come about 4pm I turn off the UV and do the routine clean out and dry feeding, along with some calcium supplement. It's already dim in the room at this point and goes dark naturally.
She hasn't laid anything more yet from doing this. But we'll see.

So when you do your restriction, is the room completely dark and quiet during darkness hours? Of course when it's warmer months you'd at least cover with something thick and make sure it's quiet.
I know there's also the all daylight method. Pretty much keep the light on at all times, give no darkness. This works somehow. Freaks them out or something since it's so unnatural.
I expect you already know not to touch her back or vent area. Even holding or restraining would best be avoided. Only petting of the neck and perching allowed.
Also, I know it's best seen to let her brood the eggs she lays till she gets bored, however with a chronic layer... she won't get bored. She'll just lay another clutch shortly before the time she should get bored. That's how mine goes anyway.
When I bred her on purpose years back and ended up discovering her to be a chronic layer, the only thing that stopped her was a chick hatching. No interest in eggs then. (2 other fertile eggs went cold and died).
So currently removing any eggs she lays (vet advised this). Last one was just as I was starting this new reduced daylight method, on the 9th. I removed it before she started incubating it. And again, nothing since. May want to consider doing this yourself. It's a more aggressive method to put her off.
But do note that if she's still laying on schedule of every other day despite reducing daylight a lot (8hrs) in a quiet room, not stimulating her and removing eggs, you may need a different approach (like all light). But I hope this works for you.

As for the leg thing, I don't have the answer there. I'd just do what the vet says and keep an eye on it. It may go on it's own. Hopefully it's not actually cancer. Rare things are rare for a reason.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts