Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, My name is Sandi and I am new here. We have two 'tiels. Angel is a male whom we adopted from a shelter about two years ago. We just added Belle, a 7 month old 'tiel from the same shelter. Belle is a female. They are both in a huge flight cage that they share with two budgie. They all get along. The problem is that Angel and Belle get along too well if you know what I mean. I do not want babies. My question is has anyone successfully keep two tiels of the opposite sex together? If so were you able to keep them hand tame?

Thank you in advance!

Sandi

·
Registered
5,022 Posts
Hi Sandi welcome to the forum, even though they get along I would be careful housing the budgies and tiels together, bugdies can be terrrilbe bullies for there little size, you can have two tiels of the same sex together without mating so far I have been sucessfull with it.

I have had Georgie and Ollie for almost a year together and they haven't mated yet and prefer to be with me then each other, now Lee and Minnie prefer each other but are still hand tame and have not mated yet either, I would be careful with Belle she is still way to young to have babies, a female needs to be at least 18 months old before she is ready for that, make sure there is nothing in the cage that could be considered nesting material and make sure they are getting at least 12 hours of dark time sometimes this can prevent them from laying eggs.

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
I have to say, from experience now, that if you have a pair that are bonded (as in mating) the only way to keep them from mating and possibly laying eggs is to put them in separate cages. Of course, eggs aren't a guarantee from mating, but a real possibility. :) If they're together they will mate. :lol: I never planned to breed, but now i've got little baby Snickers thanks to Cookie and Bailee's persistence. Now i'm on a mission to stop Cookie laying eggs.

Some things you can try are putting them to bed earlier so they're getting at least 12 hours of dark, and changing the perches and toys around in the cage at least weekly. Both those things would discourage breeding.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have been putting them to bed earlier. Belle was previously housed with other budgies and tiels. She loves other birds and is getting used to us. Angel just realized he is a bird. He LOVES me. Sadly, I can not get another cage. We have nine all ready. If things do not work out I can find Belle a home or take her back to the shelter and get a male tiel for Angel. I would hate to do that as Belle and Angel do like each other. And of course we love both of them. I only wish there was a safe way to get birds altered. So far with the 12 hours of sleep things have improved. I will keep you posted.

sandi

1 - 4 of 4 Posts