Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
2,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How can I teach Rocko the Andy Griffith Theme Song its sounds soo cute do I just play it when hes in a chatty mood and hope he picks it up.

Question 2. How do u know when your bird is tame?:confused::confused::confused::confused:

·
Banned
2,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I know now rocko is seriously not tamed and i dont think he ever will be he just will not step up from inside the cage only outside his cage ive been also teaching him Wave and he will only do it outside the cage too why is this its annoying me so for now he is not allowed out of his cage unless he steps up to get out theres gonna be a few rules he has to follow now

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
1. I believe you just continue to play it around him and if you notice he has started to pick it up you work on it more with him by encouraging him to sing it with treats. I'm not certain that is the best method, maybe owners with male 'tiels can be of more help with that? But I believe it is just repetition, a lot of it. Once they start singing it they looove singing songs though. So be prepared to hear it for a while! :D

2. When they love being around you and spending time with you. Sometimes they may follow you to another room or call for you when you're not around. They will cuddle up next to you and preen you or sing for you. :)

3. I think you have said you have tried this, but does he have a favorite food that he likes? You can hold it just out of reach of his mouth so that he has to lean forward and grab it. Make it so that he has to lean far enough forward that the only way to get the treat he loves is to step onto your hand. Then let him have the treat while on your hand and tell him he's the best. I held a treat for Kiwi like this every day for hours until my arm cramped up trying to get her to do this and eventually it worked. But first she had to accept eating treats out of my hand. If your 'tiel will already eat treats out of your hand then this may work.

·
Banned
2,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
1. I believe you just continue to play it around him and if you notice he has started to pick it up you work on it more with him by encouraging him to sing it with treats. I'm not certain that is the best method, maybe owners with male 'tiels can be of more help with that? But I believe it is just repetition, a lot of it. Once they start singing it they looove singing songs though. So be prepared to hear it for a while! :D

2. When they love being around you and spending time with you. Sometimes they may follow you to another room or call for you when you're not around. They will cuddle up next to you and preen you or sing for you. :)

3. I think you have said you have tried this, but does he have a favorite food that he likes? You can hold it just out of reach of his mouth so that he has to lean forward and grab it. Make it so that he has to lean far enough forward that the only way to get the treat he loves is to step onto your hand. Then let him have the treat while on your hand and tell him he's the best. I held a treat for Kiwi like this every day for hours until my arm cramped up trying to get her to do this and eventually it worked. But first she had to accept eating treats out of my hand. If your 'tiel will already eat treats out of your hand then this may work.
He loves Millet and he does try to get it I think he's doing it on purpose because sometimes he will and then hop off right away after he gets his reward and then sometimes he just won't at all but anywhere outside the cage he's ready to do anything

·
Registered
182 Posts
My partner was never a parrot or bird person - thus leaves the training to me. Ringo will still nip my partner even though he adores him - and chew his keyboard and mouse. I know people say gentle gentle with parrots, but a stern 'bah' does not hurt them and like dogs they MUST know you are boss.

Play the song when you put him to bed at night for about half an hour. Then if you can hum or whistle it while he's on your shoulder - he might pick it up. I'm teaching Ringo the Adams Family theme and only after 3 months he's picking that up along with 'hello Ringo' 'good boy' 'whose a cheeky boy' 'step up' and 'eagle. I talk to him all day every day. I know Lucy won't talk she just wants love and as a female they are not really talkers.

To me from having a red tailed black cockatoo - when your bird is tame they trust you to do anything that doesn't endanger them. I could turn her on her back, throw her up and catch her - crazy stuff because she trusted me totally. Cockatiels - well it's the first time I've owned them and from owning different parrots I know they are all different. Cockatiels because smaller are less happy for me to hold them in my hand although I'm training Ringo to do that. Lucy hates it. It's a predator thing. Eagles etc would grab them like that. Bigger parrots do not have that fear.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts