Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Today we bought two pearl tiels from a lady who needed to find them a new home because they were loud:confused: I find this annoying because if you buy from a breeder or a petstore the birds are usually loud:mad: honestly could she not have figured that out.. They are in horrible shape they are so thin that during wing clipping u could feel every bone in their tiny wings.. She was feeding them Katie treat mix and grit for their diet.. The cage isn't huge and its packed full of dirty toys and the perches have sand paper on them.. The birds are weak and thier poor nails are way over grown.. My birds havn't had their nails done and they are fine w/out having sand paper perches. I probly didn't do the right thing but the min we got them home we fed them some of my mix and they scarfed like they hadn't eatin in a while.. I need advice should I clip their nails?? How bout diet.. How bad is it that I let them stuff themselfs on the food we feed ours without the slow switch over?? They are really nurotic they repeatedly do the same things over and over.They however are friendly to an extent I can take them out on my finger but slowly they freak and start bitting.. I will be paitent with them but they have had it pretty bad. I need any and all advice. sorry for the long post!

I forgot to post they have chewed the wooden toys down to nothing and they also had some products that got sent with them I never have heard of people using this stuff so here goes..

Baby oil

mite and lice bird and cage spray Four Paws

molt and conditioning by kaytee

Bird Bath & Feather Groomer by Natural Chemistry

Also what I really got mad at was the Cockatiel Guide they had bought tells you the dos and don'ts and it is so obvious they had never bothered to read it!

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
I would take them both for a well-bird check with an avian vet. They don't sound so good, and could probably use worming and a check over. A vet could also trim claws while you're there. I think it's fine that they're eating your mix right away. The reason people warn to switch slowly is so that they get used to it and don't starve themselves waiting for familiar food. :)

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We plan on taking them in tomorrow morning we figured they could wait till morning cause the vet who sees birds in town here charges an arm and a leg for emergency visits. I am willing to wait to get the nails done I am scared I would clip them to short. I just feel bad for them. Is the nail overgrowth due to poor diet or there lack of room to move around??

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
Tomorrow will be soon enough, it's not really an emergency. My best guess would be that the nails are over grown due to diet. My guys very rarely need their nails trimmed. :)

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I forgot one last thing the lady said the petstore and the vet both said they were male because of the orange checks I that that was the dumbest thing I had ever heard.. I have heard this before is this a common myth?? Also they feel the need to groom themselfs and me constantly and do repeptitive stuff is there anyway I can help them with this?? After a much needed wing clipping < I say this cause our ceiling fans are always on.. I have allowed them to either be on me or on top of their cage since coming home.. Am I doing to much with them to soon?? They arn't super healthy should I just put them away and cover there cage??

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
Congrats.. sounds like they really need a visit-it's not an emergency so tomorrow is good. Overgrowth of nails and beak can be caused by poor health and/or poor diet. Go ahead and introduce them to some good food and veggies and have the vet do some exams. If the lady gave you babyoil it's likely that's she's self treated them for scaly mites before..also the mite and lice bird and cage spray Four Paws is NOT good for them-just toss it out. The other stuff....The grit and sand covered perches are also a bad idea too...
molt and conditioning by kaytee and Bird Bath & Feather Groomer by Natural Chemistry I've never used or needed too. Keep them well quarantined in the meantime and I hope the vet visit goes well. Let us know how it goes!

EDIT:added

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys for the help and kind words.. If you all can't tell I am really kinda freaking out just abit. I want to do right by these guys and make sure I am not messing up anything with them.. I wasn't planning on using the stuff that came with them the only reason I saved them out is to post them I just can't see why pay so much for stuff and not even take care of the poor little dears I swear some people are so stupid.. It makes me mad.

·
Registered
581 Posts
i know... its ridiculous!...
a young guy at the bar i work at is one of those...
so far he has bought a $500 dog, a $200 cat $1500 on a fish tank....
all of which he has neglected and eventually given away with some excuse of why it wasnt right for him....
he came over to my house a few times, and when he sees my birds he always goes on about tiels....
lately i have been giving him every reason i can think of why he shouldnt get a tiel without saying to him outright -YOURE A LOUSY ANIMAL CARER!!!
i just know it would be neglected... and eventually probably given to me...
people suck sometimes!

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Excuse my bluntness but there are waaaaaaaay to many idoits ( he sounds like one of them) out there and not enough smart people I am sure of it.. People make me so mad sometimes I knew there was a reason I liked animals better.. Good job on trying to talk him out of tiels.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Some people are idiots, aspecially people in pet stores, they don't have a clue about animals and they are often not cared for correctly:mad: Hope your 2 new tiels, check-up goes well :D *fingers crossed*

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The vet visit went well for the most part the two newbies are suffering from malnutrition due to poor diet but the vet told us we are on the right track and gave us a buncha instructions.. We got home and I went straight for Bailey after washing my hands only to find her weak and having bloody stool we rushed her to the doctor and found out she has heavy metal poisioning.. I havn't heard anything but with 3 kids who are active sitting up at the vets office wasn't an option. I am not dealing with this well at all.. She is my everything and my favorite she is sweet and affectionate and loving.. They say in some instances they can save the birds with treatment I guess we will see what tomorrow brings.. please keep her in your prayers or good thoughts.. Thanks

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
she has been all over our house with me and even plays on my curtain rods she kinda has supervised free reign. The vet told us we should have our kids screened for lead poisoning which was already done last month at their check ups. I am trying to think what she has been around that might have caused it I am at a lose this did start however after I got her new cuttle bone with mineral stuff on it.. I am trying my best to fix this.. I feel like I have failed her and it is all my fault. If something happens I will never be able to forgive myself.

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
I really can't say what it was but it was something recently...I know you feel bad but things happen-birds are really sensative to things. All my friends and family laugh at me because I don't let the tiels on anything I am not sure about. If it was up to them they'd chew on everything in the house so they can laugh all they want but... anyways, keep us posted. I'd call them and see how she is. The other two need some tlc also right now. Did the vet run any stool or blood tests to make sure they aren't ill? From the enviroment they came from it's highly recommended. A regular check up unfortunetly does nothing to find that out.

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
I don't know if this is relevant or not, but here in the UK, there have been an awful lot of kids toys that were made in China taken off the shelves because of too much lead in the paint. I don't know if maybe your kids have any of these toys...I can't even remember what toys it was because I don't have little kids to think about. I'll see if I can find out anything online

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yup they come back clean other than being very underweight. They had full work ups.. I keep calling the vets for updates have most of the day but I get "well she is still eating and drinking well but time will tell" speach and the receptionist is getting annoyed.. I personally could care less if I am the most annoying person they have ever met. They are doing all they can for her and even got her on a course of antibiotics. I plan on going up and sitting with her some tonight if Bill is able to wrangle the kids on his own. I know she is freaking out all by herself becuase she gets upset when I put her away at night.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts