Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Wild type
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two males, both aged 6, from the same clutch. I got them from a reputable breeder and have had them since they were about 12 weeks. For the past few years they would fight and get hormonal in the spring, and it would eventually pass.

But this past year has been an nightmare. With the pandemic, and me and my husband home 24/7, their behavior has gone downhill. One of the two males, Skipper, is aggressor and will chase Rico down. If I don't separate them, it will result in injury. There is also a strong hormonal component happening as well. Skipper will masturbate in his food dish and sometimes Rico mounts him. It is always this way and never the other way around. But Rico never masturbates, only Skipper. Additionally, Skipper is the only one who will explore darker spaces and l constantly have to be on him, to prevent him from finding a dark spot and getting territorial over it (a box, a bag, the space between the refrigerator and our counters - it could be ANYWHERE!

I often have to keep one in the cage and one outside to prevent fighting/aggression. Have tried two cages and that is really no different than keeping one in the cage and one out - it's a very large cage and I've attached food and water to the outside for the one who stays outside. They will sleep in the cage together at night and will settle after being covered.

I've tried all the things I've read about : rearrange the cage, provide less treats so they don't feel food is 'abundant', cover them and let them sleep for at least 12 hours, using Avi-calm in their food, and I never EVER provide things they can use as nesting material, etc. Nothing is changing this behavior. It's been going on and off (some months better than others) for almost a year! We cannot separate them out of eyesight of one another, or they will shriek for hours back and forth from other rooms.

I'm at my wits end. I used to expect this during spring mating season as I see the birds outside exhibiting similar behaviors (territorial/males fighting, etc). But it's reached a point that our lives are controlled by this. And I also feel bad for both birds! Skipper is determined and on a mission (to mate, it would seem) and Rico is clearly harassed by him when they are out of the cage.

That being said, they DO have quieter times during the day where the behavior abates and they can be out together and get along outside of the cage. But it may only be for a few hours each day.

Other than rehoming one of them (which I really do not want to do), I desperately need help/suggestions.
If you've read this far, I thank you and I am so grateful for any suggestions/help!

·
Registered
I have normal greys, whiteface, pearl pieds, creamface cinnamons, and pearls.
673 Posts
I can only imagine what you must be going thru! I can feel the frustration in your post. Since Skipper seems to be the one **** bent on breeding, Have you considered getting a female? I know three birds would be more to deal with but it might take his mind off being so mean to Rico. The only other thing I could think of would be to either consult an avian vet or perhaps a GOOD breeder if you happen to be lucky enough to have either where you live. REALLY hope it works out for you.
Robert

·
Registered
Wild type
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I can only imagine what you must be going thru! I can feel the frustration in your post. Since Skipper seems to be the one **** bent on breeding, Have you considered getting a female? I know three birds would be more to deal with but it might take his mind off being so mean to Rico. The only other thing I could think of would be to either consult an avian vet or perhaps a GOOD breeder if you happen to be lucky enough to have either where you live. REALLY hope it works out for you.
Robert
Robert thank you so much for the reply. I’ve tried everything but a vet visit. They’re free flighted - so they fly around the house and can expend a lot of energy - have the run of the house, have plenty of landing zones, plenty of shredable material, as well as toys and other forms of enrichment. Nothing has seemed to help for any length of time. 😞
I have truly been at my wits end - working from home this whole pandemic has amplified all these issues. And since it’s likely I will work a hybrid schedule (where my company finally reopens) I don’t see how this will change.

Since I originally posted this, I’ve been in contact with the breeder that I got Skipper and Rico from (she’s a wonderful woman and such a caring soul), and she’s going to take Skipper in. She and I have been in touch off/on during the almost 6 years since I’ve had Skipper and Rico. He will possibly become a breeder, since it seems it’s what he needs!

So you were right Robert - he probably needs to be breeding! Only I cannot take the chance of bringing a female in as I’m not prepared for the dynamic that may ensue, and am not looking for a breeding situation.

Part of me is heartbroken (and feel like I’ve failed them 😞) as I wanted to somehow make this work, but having dealt with this off/on for most of their lives (the fighting actually started when they were 9 months old!), I’m now convinced they simply should not be homed together. There would be a few months here or there where it would improve but it always reverts back to this stressful dynamic. It’s not just for my sanity - I also don’t think this is healthy at all (the dynamic) for the two of them.

Thank you SO much for taking time out of your day to reply. 🙏🏻

·
Registered
71 Posts
Heres a suggestion for Rico, eventho he is alone now, try to control the lighting of the room during the breeding season and limit the amount of petting him, put some sound of the nature or waves on alexa or a speaker to block out the sounds of the outside and if he gets territorial over any object (cage, perch, toy, shoulder) jst freez with no moment, if u get something for it or something that already his, touch it act like ur playing with it (if its a toy) place ur hand on the perch to pretty much show him that its ur too but only if it gets to the point where he doesnt let u near his stuff. p.s they both are oh so CUTEEE!

·
Registered
Wild type
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Heres a suggestion for Rico, eventho he is alone now, try to control the lighting of the room during the breeding season and limit the amount of petting him, put some sound of the nature or waves on alexa or a speaker to block out the sounds of the outside and if he gets territorial over any object (cage, perch, toy, shoulder) jst freez with no moment, if u get something for it or something that already his, touch it act like ur playing with it (if its a toy) place ur hand on the perch to pretty much show him that its ur too but only if it gets to the point where he doesnt let u near his stuff. p.s they both are oh so CUTEEE!
Thank you for this advice! I appreciate the help! 😊

1 - 5 of 5 Posts