Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

Two hours to go!!

6K views 75 replies 15 participants last post by  Plukie 
#1 ·
For Dooby to have his wings clipped! Oh, deary me!!!:(

#4 ·
He won't like it at first, but he'll get over it soon enough. In fact, Chester hadn't had his wings clipped at all before I got him (and he's somewhere around a year old), and he just turned into a cuddler next time I got him out! ^_^

#6 · (Edited)
:( Poor Dooby! So, it took me 20 minutes to get him in the cat basket to get him to the vet. I tried everything apart from picking him up (he bites) then he came to me for a cuddle and a tickle and hey presto, I put the cat basket with door opened up to my chest and he had no choice but to go in. So, that was the first traumatic episode. Off we went in the car, Dooby was quite happy, we get to the vets and the receptionist put her finger through the bars and Dooby stood on them! Then the vet got a towel, put his hand inside the box and came out with a Dooby! No problem, the nurse held him and the vet clipped him. He said if it's not enough he will clip more of his feathers on Monday. He's left some so that "He still looks pretty" but it might be that he can still fly high, I'll just have to see. At the moment he is sat on the flap bit at the top of his cage and I swear he is sulking.

It only cost £6.30 (approx $13 US) so that was good. I'd much rather an expert do it than me, they know how to hold him and where to clip. It would be down to me to hold him AND clip him, so that would be a bit tricky. If he's stand still on his perch and hold his wing out for me, it might be a help, but I can't see him doing that somehow. LOL

#9 ·
Awww, poor Dooby, but it's for the best. And if your not completely happy with it in any way, remember they'll always grow out. Dooby's going to have a bit of a suprise when he stops sulking and starts flying. ;)

#16 ·
It's all in the birdy rule book i'm sure - under "ways to make our owners feel guilty".
my birds must use this book when you come in the room they both lean there heads forward for scratch and when your eating they will moan until they get some and if you dont give them a scrath or food they give you bad looks.:rolleyes:im sure dooby will be happy in no time im gonna have a whole lot sulking to come when i decide to cut flickys wings. :p

#17 ·
Well, what can I say.........it has made him really bad tempered and he can still fly!!!! He flew from the ground up to the top of his cage, he's launched a biting attack on me and one on Darryl....so, back to the vets on Monday I suppose to have some more feathers clipped. At this rate, he'll be getting his wings and beak amputated!

#18 ·
Oh dear, that's disappointing. I really can't imagine sweet Dooby being vicious , I don't know why.

#20 ·
Did you see how much they cut off? :)

#21 ·
Yeah, the vet did it so that he still looks good, but he said that it may not be enough and that he might have to cut the first few primary feathers as well. He's a real grouch today. He's flying at me with his beak open every time I go near his cage. Sheeesh, you try and help and that's all the thanks you get. lol. I'm sure he'll be ok again tomorrow.

#22 ·
How many primaries did they leave? I know Ziggy is a pretty strong flier and can fly with just one primary. Since Dooby's had the experience I would have the but all primaries if you're trying to disable flight completly. Sorry to hear he was attacking you...sounds like Dooby has something against you for some reason...did he wake up or the wrong side of the perch? I'm glad mine didn't attack me after every clipping-I'd have a house with 10 birds on attack mode...

#24 ·
I wonder why the vet was worried about him looking nice its the attitude that needs to be adjusted :p hopefully when you take him back on Monday and have more clipped he will be dependent on you and be a little nicer. The best way to tell if its enough is to hold him out on your finger encourage him to fly at the vets in the enclosed room of course and see if he can still fly or fly abit and glide down.

#27 ·
Thanks very much for that tip. I'll check his flight ability at the vets. As this is the first time I've ever had a bird clipped, I didn't know what to expect really. The vet seems to have left about the first three or four primary's, obviously that is still enough for the Doobster! lol I'm just going to put him to bed now, he was up at around 7.00 this morning so, it's 7.00 bedtime tonight. I'll see if he says night night, tonight!! Or just sulks again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.